Wednesday 20 February 2019

Hutch murder accused 'was panicked as he ran up city street', trial told

Jonathan Keogh (pictured) denies the murder of Gareth Hutch
Jonathan Keogh (pictured) denies the murder of Gareth Hutch
Gareth Hutch

Murder accused Jonathan Keogh looked "panicked" as he ran up a Dublin street on the morning Gareth Hutch was shot dead, a trial has heard.

Colette Geoghegan told the Special Criminal Court she was coming down Summerhill with her partner, Maurice Farrell, and turning into Rutland Street when she saw Jonathan Keogh.

The couple knew "Johnny", because Colette was best friends with his then girlfriend.

Earlier, the court heard a cousin of Gareth Hutch was behaving erratically when gardai arrived on the scene and shouted: "What took you so long to get here?"

When asked who was injured on the ground, Ross Hutch told a sergeant "you f**king know who it is, do your job".

The Special Criminal Court also heard the dead man's father, John Hutch, arrived at the scene on a moped soon after the shooting, and told gardai the body on the ground was his son.

Jonathan Keogh (32), his sister Regina Keogh (41) and Thomas Fox (31) have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Mr Hutch on May 24, 2016.

Mr Fox, of Rutland Court, Dublin 1, has also pleaded not guilty to possession of a Makorov handgun in suspicious circumstances on May 23, 2016.

Gareth Hutch (35), a nephew of Gerry Hutch, was shot dead as he was getting into his car outside Avondale House flats on North Cumberland Street.


It is the State's case that Jonathan Keogh, of Gloucester Place, Dublin 1, was heard expressing his intention to kill Mr Hutch the evening before the shooting.

It is alleged Mr Fox and Ms Keogh were instrumental in planning the murder, and Mr Keogh and another man, Mr AB, were the shooters.

In her evidence, Ms Geoghegan said she left her home at 9.50am, heading down Summerhill towards the NYP club. She didn't notice Mr Keogh at first, but saw him when Mr Farrell pointed him out to her.

Yesterday, the court heard Mr Hutch was shot at 9.53am.

Mr Farrell told the court he saw "Johnny Keogh running up Rutland Street".

Ms Geoghegan said he was "walking quite fast, like a run" and looked "panicked".

Ms Geoghegan said she heard about the shooting on the news and went to her friend's house.

At one stage her friend, Mr Keogh's then girlfriend, went downstairs and came back with an envelope full of €50 notes.

Ms Geoghegan said there was "quite a large amount" of notes.

She said she minded her friend's children overnight that night, for the first time, and when her friend contacted her the next day she didn't recognised the phone number.

Her friend returned home at 8.30pm the day after the shooting.


In his evidence, Garda JP Costigan said he arrived at Avondale House at 10am, minutes after the shooting. He said there was a large crowd in the car park.

He saw Ross Hutch, who approached him in an "erratic manner". He said to him "what took you so long to get here".

Prosecuting counsel Paul Burns SC and Fiona Murphy BL then read a number of statements into evidence.

The court heard that Garda Jason Walsh arrived at Avondale house at 10.05am. He said there was a large crowd gathered in the car park, and they were "roaring and shouting".

Gda Walsh said he recognised Ross Hutch. He was asked by a sergeant who was on the ground and he replied: "You f**king know who it is, do your job."

The deceased's father, John Hutch, said, in a statement read by Ms Murphy, that he formally identified the body as his son Gareth to Garda Fergal O'Flaherty in the chapel of the Mater Hospital.

The hospital chaplain had earlier said a prayer over Mr Hutch's body, which was done at the request of his family.

A statement from State Pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy was read into evidence by Ms Murphy. Prof Cassidy said she completed the post-mortem examination on May 24, 2016 and the cause of death was multiple gunshot injuries.

The trial continues.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News