Thursday 23 November 2017

Hurling all-star denies 'hit and run' on walker

A FORMER two-time All-Star hurler has been charged in connection with an alleged hit and run.

Mark Foley (35), who denies the charges, appeared on foot of a garda summons after allegedly telling gardai he knocked down a 24-year old man on October 16, 2010.

The well-known ex-Limerick hurling captain is charged with four counts, including failing to stop at the scene of an accident; failing to remain at the scene of an accident; failing to give appropriate information to a garda and failing to report a road traffic accident.

Gardai told Newcastle West District Court that the retired inter-county player told them that, on the night of the alleged incident, he "hit a man" at around 2.30am while driving on the N21.

The court heard Foley, of Abbeyview, Adare, Co Limerick, told gardai: "I hit a man who was walking on the road. He was just inside the yellow line. I was driving my own car, (a Mercedes C Class 200). I went forward 50 yards. I stopped and went back to see if he was okay. I then took him to hospital."

Garda Brian O'Leary told the court that at around 3.30am on October 16, 2010, Roxboro Road Garda Station in Limerick city was contacted by the Mid-Western Regional Hospital about two men who had presented there following a road accident.

Garda O'Leary said that when he arrived at the hospital he noticed damage to Foley's car.

"I noticed there was damage to the passenger side, the window and the wing. The windscreen was cracked, there was extensive damage to the passenger wing and the wing mirror was missing," he added.


The garda agreed with Turlough Herbert, for Foley, that the accused was found by gardai in a waiting room off the A+E department of the hospital.

Garda O'Leary arrested and cautioned Foley and brought him to Newcastle West Garda Station so that the accused could show gardai the location of where he had "hit the man".

The injured party, Arturas Grabliauskas, (24), originally from Lithuania, who had been living in Rathkeale, Co Limerick at the time, told the court the last thing he remembered was walking into a pub in Newcastle West at around 8pm on October 15, 2010 and waking up in hospital the following day.

Asked by prosecuting Inspector Seamus Ruwane if he remembered walking home on the night, Mr Grabliauskas replied: "I only remember 8pm when I walked into the bar."

Speaking through an interpreter, Mr Grabliauskas also outlined to the court the injuries he sustained.

"My left hand was broken and my left leg was broken. I was detained in hospital for three days," he told the court.

Under Cross examination by Mr Herbert, the injured party confirmed he didn't know if he had consumed alcohol on the night in question.

"He doesn't know, but he says he was sober when he walked into the bar and then he woke up in hospital," court interpreter Natalija Sustenkona said.

The hearing is due to continue next month after the case was adjourned yesterday by judge Mary O'Halloran.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News