Wednesday 12 December 2018

'Hairdresser caused my stroke', claims mum in €1.1m action

Adele Burns at home with her husband Campbell
Adele Burns at home with her husband Campbell

A woman has launched a £1m (€1.12m) legal action against a hairdresser over claims her colouring treatment caused a stroke.

Adele Burns had her hair washed six times at Rainbow Room in Glasgow - and lawyers allege the impact of the sink on her neck caused her to collapse the next day.

Ms Burns (47), from Mid Calder, West Lothian, has started a civil case against the salon.

She said her life "has been turned upside-down".

"With backing from my doctors, there is no doubt in my mind the salon caused the stroke," Ms Burns said.

"This hasn't just left me isolated from society - I've been isolated from my own body."

Ms Burns visited the hairdresser in April 2016 and left with a headache, but put it down to not getting a chance to eat during the appointment.

The next day she lost her sight and felt dizzy, and then passed out when phoning her husband, Campbell.

He called an ambulance and Ms Burns was taken to St John's Hospital in Livingston.


Solicitors Digby Brown said it was found that she suffered a stroke following dissection of the vertebral artery - a clot caused by trauma in the neck which stops blood getting to the brain.

It was also found there is no history of strokes in her family.

The mother-of-two said she had to sell the family home and now struggles to speak, read and write.

Court papers state salon staff never asked Ms Burns to attend for a "strand test" before her appointment, which would have prevented the need for her hair to be rewashed and recoloured six times.

Documents also accuse the salon of negligence by failing to offer Ms Burns a front-facing sink or neck protection, during visits.

Jennifer Watson, associate at Digby Brown and specialist beauty treatment lawyer, said: "A civil action against Rainbow Room is under way after our client's life was undeniably altered following her appointment with their salon.

"Thousands of people will seek beauty treatment like this every year and Adele is incredibly brave in speaking out as a way of alerting others to the risks.

"Strokes caused by hair washes are not unheard of as there have been a handful of similar cases across the globe.

"However, I'm not aware of anything similar having been called in Scottish courts.

"This claim of negligence will be rigorously pursued."

Rainbow Room International declined to comment.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News