| 16.6°C Dublin

Guest cleared after dispute over hotel room 'peace flags'


Yvette Cheevers denied being agitated during incident

Yvette Cheevers denied being agitated during incident

Yvette Cheevers denied being agitated during incident

A hotel guest has been acquitted of public order charges following a dispute over "peace flags" that she said she left hanging in her room.

Yvette Cheevers (36) "stood her ground" at the Dublin hotel and asked for the return of the property, which she insisted she had left behind before she checked out.

After staff told her there was nothing there, Ms Cheevers called gardai but ended up being arrested when she allegedly became verbally abusive.

Ms Cheevers, of Red Arches Avenue, Baldoyle, pleaded not guilty to breach of the peace and failing to follow garda directions at the Marine Hotel, Sutton.

Judge John Lindsay dismissed both charges after her defence argued what she had expressed was at its worst "frustration" and did not amount to a crime.

Gda Mark Geraghty told Dublin District Court he went to the hotel at 1.20am on May 6, 2008.

Ms Cheevers told him flags were left hanging between picture frames in the room, and she was not allowed to return to get them back.


The manager said cleaners had found no property.

Gda Geraghty said Ms Cheevers became abusive, failed to leave peacefully, resisted arrest and it took three gardai to restrain her.

Operations manager Dav-id O'Neill said that when Ms Cheevers was told it was against hotel policy to let her check the room, she became very "agitated, arrogant and aggressive".

Ms Cheevers told the court she had left five small cloth flags, which might have been missed by cleaners. She sat "patiently and respectfully" for gardai.

Ms Cheevers accepted she said to the garda: "I just want to go to the f**king room and check with my own f**king eyes for my f**king property."

After the garda said he was arresting her, she did not swear, but said she was not leaving without her property. She denied being agitated and said "three people with their full force" arrested her.

Ms Cheevers had been no physical threat and the language used was "at its worst, vulgarity", her barrister said.