herald

Wednesday 13 December 2017

Girl burned and 'forced' into sex act

TRIAL: Boy hostile towards victim

THE FAMILY of a teenager who burnt a girl with a cigarette lighter before she was allegedly forced to perform oral sex on another youth showed "open hostility" to her afterwards, a court has heard.

The schoolboy, now 16, has pleaded guilty at the Children's Court to assault causing harm to the girl at a disused house in a north Dublin suburb in mid-2009. He was 13 at the time.

A victim impact statement was furnished to Judge Bryan Smyth, who said it "did not make very happy reading". He also noted that it referred to "open hostility" from the boy, his family and friends after the assault.

Defence solicitor Adrian Lennon asked the judge to note that the boy had career prospects that could be affected by a criminal conviction.

He said the teen had worked with a probation officer and written a letter of apology for the girl, but this had not been passed on because she did not want any contact with him.

The teenager has no prior criminal convictions and a probation report stated that he was at a "low risk" of reoffending.

Judge Smyth noted that the boy's remorse had "evolved", but said: "I know that sometimes it does not immediately come to mind, but if it is genuine remorse, it generally comes fairly quickly."

The defence asked the judge to note that the boy was prepared to do restorative voluntary work. Judge Smyth adjourned the case until next month to consider sentencing.

Earlier, Det Garda Donal O'Connell told the judge that the girl went to a disused house with the boy and "another suspect". The boy burnt the girl by "holding a lit cigarette lighter or a lighter that had been lit and was still hot to her abdomen". Det Gda O'Connell said that was the extent of the boy's involvement in the assault.

The court also heard that the girl, now in her mid-teens, alleged she been held down by two boys. After she was burnt by the teen, she was then made to perform oral sex on another youth, it is alleged. A second youth has been charged and is facing a separate prosecution.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News