Gang thug Wilson charged with three attempted murders
A major gangland criminal who pleaded guilty at the Special Criminal Court last week to a murder plot has been further charged with three counts of attempted murder in connection with a shooting at The Players Lounge pub in Dublin.
The non-jury court heard Alan Wilson told gardai he had "absolutely nothing to do with these allegations".
Wilson (39), of New Street Gardens, Dublin 8, was charged yesterday with attempting to murder Brian Masterson, Wayne Barrett and Austin Purcell at The Players Lounge Public House, Fairview Strand, Fairview, Dublin 3, on July 26, 2010.
Wilson was also charged with the possession of firearms, namely a .38 Special Calibre Smith & Wesson revolver and a .32 Auto Calibre Zastava semi-automatic pistol, with intent to endanger life on the same occasion.
He was further charged with the possession of ammunition, namely .38 special calibre ammunition and .32 auto calibre ammunition with intent to endanger life.
Last week, Wilson admitted conspiring with Joseph Kelly, Liam Brannigan, Luke Wilson and other persons to murder Gary Hanley at a location within the State between September 15 and November 6, 2017, both dates inclusive.
State solicitor Ciara Vibien, for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), told the three-judge court yesterday that the DPP had directed that Wilson be tried in respect of the offences at the non-jury court.
Insp Ian Donoghue, of Clontarf Garda Station, told the court he met Wilson yesterday morning in the precincts of the court and handed him a copy of the charge sheet, which was explained to him.
Insp Donoghue said Wilson was cautioned and replied: "I've absolutely nothing to do with these allegations."
An application for legal aid was made by defence counsel James Dwyer on behalf of his client, and this was granted by the court.
Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding, sitting with Judge Patricia Ryan and Judge Michael Walsh, remanded Wilson in custody until July 29, when a book of evidence is expected to be served on the defendant.
The Herald revealed last week that Wilson has been fuming because he is one of a number of busted Kinahan cartel foot soldiers who have not received a single cent after being enlisted in murder plots.
It is understood gardai have investigated Wilson and his associates for more than a dozen gangland murders.
Wilson is also charged before the Special Criminal Court with murdering a person or persons unknown at the 74 Talbot pub on Talbot Street between September 11 and 15, 2017.
He has also been previously arrested and questioned about the murder of Darren Cogan in a Bluebell bar in June 2011.
Wilson was previously cleared of murdering Romanian teenager Marioara Rostas in 2008, in one of the most depraved cases officers have investigated in recent decades.