herald

Tuesday 19 June 2018

Father-of-one charged with having €1,400 of looted Lidl goods

GardaI at the scene of the collapsed Lidl store in Fortunestown Lane last week
GardaI at the scene of the collapsed Lidl store in Fortunestown Lane last week

A father-of-one has been refused bail after he was charged with handling €1,400 of stolen goods taken during the looting of a Dublin supermarket.

During last week's snowstorm, the Lidl at Fortunestown Lane in Tallaght was extensively damaged after it was raided and looted while another shop was broken into on Friday night.

Liam Walsh (26), from Ard Mor Drive, Tallaght, appeared at Dublin District Court charged under the Theft and Fraud Act.

Mr Walsh, who is accused of handling stolen property taken from the Lidl supermarket, made no reply when charged, Garda Stephen Murray told Judge Grainne O'Neill.

Objecting to bail owing to the seriousness of the offence, Gda Murray told the court that on March 2 the Lidl supermarket was burgled and "extensive damage was caused by a large excavator". Video appeared on social media showing the building collapse, he said.

Gardai learned that perishable as well as electrical goods were stored in the back bedroom and in the kitchen of Mr Walsh's home, it was alleged.

A search warrant was obtained, resulting in the goods being recovered, the court heard.

They were found in several black sacks and pictures of goods had been circulated by phone, Gda Murray said.

The court heard that Mr Walsh, who is unemployed and lives with his partner and their child, was arrested on Tuesday and detained for five hours before being charged.

Shuttle

Gda Murray said it was his belief the accused intended to sell the stolen goods.

Mr Walsh denied the charge, his solicitor said.

On Saturday nine other men appeared at the district court to face a range of charges in connection with the raiding and looting at the Lidl and a break-in at a nearby Centra shop. Six were released on bail while the remaining three were remanded in custody.

Separately, it was confirmed that German retailer Lidl is to demolish the supermarket while it considers whether it will rebuild on the site.

In a goodwill gesture to loyal customers who have been left without their local supermarket, the company yesterday announced that it would run a free daily shuttle from across the street of the former Fortunestown Lane store to its nearest outlet at Whitestown Way from tomorrow morning, a spokeswoman said.

"We are aware that some of our customers in the Fortunestown area are experiencing difficulty in accessing and doing their shopping in other Lidl stores in the locality after the devastating events of last Friday night," she said.

Lidl will offer the free shuttle service on a trial basis for the next fortnight. The 40-seat bus will operate on a 'first-come first-served' basis, leaving the site at 10.30am every day and returning from Whitestown Way at 11.45am.

In the meantime, Lidl is continuing to review whether it will go ahead with expansion plans - or even rebuild - at the Fortunestown Lane site.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News