| 16.2°C Dublin

Dublin man given 4 years for laundering €500,000 in cash


Glen Power was sentenced

Glen Power was sentenced

Glen Power was sentenced

A Dublin man has been given a four-year sentence with 18 months suspended after he pleaded guilty to a money-laundering offence involving more than €500,000.

Glen Power (30) of Colpark Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin, pleaded guilty to one count of money laundering at Whitemill Road, Wexford town, last September 24.

Wexford Circuit Criminal Court heard that Power was caught transporting €503,890 of criminal proceeds in a van when he arrived at the Industrial Estate in Wexford town.

Det Garda Fiona Connaughton told the sentencing hearing gardai believed the €503,890 seized in the car park was about to be taken out of the State. The charge arose from an Intelligence Operation by the National Drugs Investigative Unit.

Det Garda Connaughton told Prosecuting Counsel Sinead Gleeson that the defendant arrived at the back of a building in a van shortly before gardai arrived. Officers saw the money being transferred to another vehicle. They intervened and recovered the cash.

The defendant was arrested and taken to Wexford Garda Station, where he was questioned and later charged. He was brought before the court, along with a second defendant who has already appeared before the court for sentencing.

Replying to Defence Counsel, Paul Murray, SC, Det Garda Conaughton said that the gardai were acting on a tip-off.

Under questioning Mr Power said he had been told to hand the money over to another person on arrival in Wexford.

Mr Murray said that a follow-up raid on another premises, led to Bernard Joyce, of Newtown, Beauparc, Slane, Co. Meath, being sentenced to five years in prison.


The defendant, said Mr. Murray, expressed his remorse and regret to the court and his family for his involvement in this.

Judge Quinn said the headline sentence would be six years but he would impose a four-year term, with the final 18 months suspended for two years.

The defendant had to enter into his own bond of €200 to keep the peace, and be supervised by the Probation and Welfare Services for a further two years on his release.

Judge Quinn also granted an application from Prosecuting Counsel, Ms Gleeson, for the forfeiture of the money.