| 9.5°C Dublin

Drunk bus man abused gardai for refusing lift

A BUS passenger who slept through the 40km-round trip from Dublin city centre to Ashbourne and back demanded that gardai take him home when he was told to get off.

Patrick O'Sullivan (26) thought his bus was still at the starting point, even though it had taken him home and back to the city centre again.

A court heard he had been under the influence of alcohol and did not realise he had slept through the whole journey when he began shouting abuse at gardai.

A judge adjourned the case against him for a Restorative Justice Programme report.

O'Sullivan, with an address at The Glen, Alderbrook, Ashbourne, pleaded guilty to causing a breach of the peace at Cavendish Row on June 23 last.


Dublin District Court heard the defendant was told to get off the bus because it was the last stop. Gardai arrived at 12.30am and he said to them that they had to take him home.

When they told him he had to find his own way home, he began shouting and stood in front of the patrol car.

When they tried to leave, he began leaning in the window shouting at them and was arrested.

Judge Grainne Malone noted that there was no charge against the accused for public intoxication.

Defence solicitor Yvonne Bambury explained that the accused bought a ticket to go home to Ashbourne, but fell asleep, sleeping through the whole journey there and back.

"When he woke up, he thought he was where he had started. He had a ticket to go to Ashbourne and he didn't realise he had gone there and back," Ms Bambury said.

The accused had been drinking, but had slept it off, a garda sergeant said.

"He slept it too well off," Judge Malone said.

The court heard the defendant had previous convictions, but none for public order offences. He had been an apprentice electrician but was currently out of work because of the downturn.

"He very much regrets what happened on the night in question," Ms Bambury said. "He was under the influence of alcohol and misconstrued the position he found himself in when he awoke."


Judge Malone said she was concerned about the belligerent attitude the accused took on the night.

Ms Bambury said O'Sullivan had no money or means to get home and was upset to find himself stranded in Dublin.

The judge said she considered the case to be at the higher end of breach of the peace, but adjourned it for a Restorative Justice Programme report.