herald

Saturday 19 January 2019

'Don't cross Liffey,' teen told in knife threat case

A TEENAGER accused of assaulting another man at knifepoint on Dublin's southside has been ordered to stay on the northside of the city for the duration of the case, and not to "cross the River Liffey".

Karl Conlon (19) is only allowed on Dublin's southside for his court appearances.

He is facing trial by judge and jury in the Circuit Court after the matters were deemed too serious for the District Court.

Conlon, of Whiteacre Crescent in Ballymun, appeared before Tallaght District Court charged with seriously assaulting another young man.

The alleged incident took place at Kiltalown View in Tallaght on March 26.

Conlon is also accused of producing a knife during the course of the dispute.

A State solicitor said the book of evidence was ready and had been served on Conlon, who goes forward to the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Judge James McDonnell remanded Conlon on High Court bail in his own bond of €3,000 with a cash lodgment of €500. As part of his bail conditions, the defendant must sign on daily at Ballymun Garda Station and obey a curfew between 10pm and 8am.

Conlon has also been ordered to have no contact with the alleged injured party and has been told he is "not to cross the Liffey", except for court appointments. The court heard that Conlon is unemployed and has never worked.

Judge McDonnell assigned defence solicitor Peter Connolly and one junior counsel on free legal aid.

The judge also gave Conlon the alibi caution, warning him he had 14 days to provide to the State details of anyone he proposed calling as a witness.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News