Friday 22 February 2019

'Dangerous man' caged for 18-and-a-half years for three 'primal' attacks

The man cannot be named
The man cannot be named

A judge has jailed a "dangerous man" for 18-and-a-half years after he was convicted of carrying out three premeditated, random violent attacks on women over a five-year period.

Judge Pauline Codd described the attacks on three women by the 34-year-old as primal and brutal and said "he is clearly a dangerous man".

The man attacked three women in 2011, 2015 and 2016 at locations around Clondalkin in south Dublin.

Two of the attacks involved a sexual assault and took place late at night as the women walked home after a night out.

In the last attack, carried out in broad daylight as the victim, Ruth Maxwell, was walking to the Luas to go to work, the man put a hunting knife to the woman's throat.

This attack took place on Knockmeenagh Lane, Clondalkin, not far from the other two attacks and near a house occupied by the family of the man's partner.

Two of the victims cannot be identified for legal reasons.

After a three-week trial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, a jury of 11 men found the man guilty of carrying out the three attacks. All verdicts were unanimous.

Yesterday, Judge Codd said that all the attacks were very serious and there was an escalation in violence over the three attacks. She said the violence was brutal and primal in nature.


She said the man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had shown no remorse.

She added the attacks were premeditated and the involvement of a leather belt, a hunting knife, duct tape and cable ties were aggravating factors.

She imposed consecutive sentences of eight years, nine-and-a-half years and five years.

Judge Codd suspended the final four years on condition that he successfully complete any sex offender programmes in custody as directed by the Probation Service.

She also imposed a nine-year period of post-release supervision on condition that he obey any curfew set by the Probation Services, notify gardai of his residence, and keep a travel log of all journeys he takes.

During a lengthy sentence hearing, the man, a foreign national who has lived and worked in Ireland since 2008, sat impassively. He has been in custody since his arrest in June 2016 as a suspect for the attack the previous month.

Roisin Lacey SC, prosecuting, told the court that it was the view of the Director of Public Prosecutions, based on the evidence, that the man posed a risk to the public.

He was identified after detectives used CCTV cameras to track a white van spotted near the scene of the 2016 attack back to the road he lived on.

After his arrest, gardai matched his DNA to blood and semen samples taken from the two earlier crime scenes.

Tests on blood traces on a jacket seized by gardai from his bedroom in June 2016 revealed it was the third victim's blood.

The judge praised the "excellent work" of gardai in the three investigations.

She also commended the courage and dignity of the complainants, saying: "I trust and hope they can rebuild their lives."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News