Saturday 7 December 2019

Dad-of-two who twice raped schoolgirl (17) in 'horrifying attack' is jailed for 12 years

Richard O’Mara denied the charges and ‘showed no remorse’. Photo: Collins Courts
Richard O’Mara denied the charges and ‘showed no remorse’. Photo: Collins Courts

A man who twice raped a 17-year-old schoolgirl at his sister's birthday party has been jailed for 12 years.

Richard O'Mara (31), of Walnut Avenue, Kingswood, Tallaght, denied two counts of rape at Ballymulcashel, Kilmurry, Sixmilebridge, Co Clare, on October 18, 2015.

He was convicted of both counts by a jury at the Central Criminal Court in April.

Passing sentence yesterday, Ms Justice Tara Burns described the offence as a "vicious, horrifying attack" in which O'Mara had used "violence and force" to rape the girl in a field.

She said O'Mara then subjected the girl to an "even more vicious rape" in the family home in "a scenario that beggars belief".


She said it was "clear" that O'Mara's family was wealthy and had "a fine house", and that there had been a "sense of class" in the case, a sense that the victim was from a "good-for-nothing family" and could not be believed.

Ms Justice Burns said nobody gets credibility from the stock they come from, and the victim could leave court with a sense of pride and her head held high.

In her victim impact statement, the victim said she was so afraid of seeing O'Mara again that she did not leave her bedroom for two months, and that she had panic attacks, nightmares and flashbacks.

She said O'Mara had robbed her of her virginity, that she bled for a week and hurt so much that she did not want to use the toilet.

She said O'Mara took away her ability to trust her male friends, but concluded by saying that he no longer had power or control over her.

Gda David Lang told Maur-ice Coffey, prosecuting, that the victim attended O'Mara's family home for his sister's 18th birthday party.

The victim began talking to O'Mara, then aged 27, who led her on to a road and said he was taking her to a friend's house.

O'Mara took her to a field, pushed her to the ground and raped her. As the victim shook her head, O'Mara whispered: "I know you want it."

He then took her back to his home, by which time most people had left, and told her he could not order a taxi.

The victim lay on a couch in the living room and began crying. O'Mara later forced her head into a pillow and raped her again. The court heard that at the time of the offences, the victim was in her final year in secondary school.

O'Mara is now married and has two children.


Michael Delaney, defending, said his client had a stent implanted in his heart in 2017 and required regular monitoring.

He said that despite O'Mara's young age, he was "not an ideal candidate for a prison sentence", and that any period of time in custody "represents a serious punishment".

Ms Justice Burns said the case was aggravated by the extreme seriousness of the offences, the young age of the victim, that the accused was a mature man, that the victim was raped twice and that the victim was effectively trapped in the house.

Ms Justice Burns said O'Mara had shown no remorse and maintained the rapes did not happen. She jailed O'Mara for 14 years, but suspended two.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News