A man who claimed he suffered serious back pain after a road accident has been arrested for conspiracy to defraud an insurance company.
It came after he withdrew the claim when video footage taken by a private investigator of him lifting a wheelchair into the boot of a car was shown in the High Court.
Constantin Iosca (40) and a 41-year-old woman were arrested in the Lusk area of north Co Dublin yesterday in a planned operation by the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau (GNECB).
They were brought to Ballymun Garda Station where they were quizzed all day by fraud squad detectives.
A senior source told the Herald last night that the GNECB is investigating dozens of insurance fraud cases across the country but this one "is a priority".
The pair are expected to be released without charge and a file will be prepared for the DPP.
Gardai yesterday announced details of the arrest operation which involved an alleged false claim against the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland (MIBI).
"The man and woman were arrested in north Dublin. The investigation refers to an alleged road traffic collision that occurred back in 2016," a garda spokeswoman said.
Romanian national Mr Iosca, of Scholars Walk, Lusk, Dublin, sued the MIBI when he claimed his bicycle was struck by a car, which could not be traced.
His case was dismissed and costs were awarded to the MIBI, which estimates its legal bill will be in excess of €30,000.
It emerged in February that a garnishee order has been issued against Mr Iosca, who is an unemployed father-of-two.
A garnishee order means that if he gets a job or comes into money, he will have to use it to pay his debt to the MIBI.
Constantin has several previous convictions including giving a false name and address to officers when caught driving without insurance in 2010.
A few months later he was charged with stealing goods from Lidl in Balbriggan, and in 2009 he was charged with intoxication and threatening behaviour.
In January, the Herald reported on his failed High Court action where he claimed he suffered disruption to his life after his bike was hit by a car.
However, he was seen on video footage picking up a wheelchair and putting it in his car.
After the video was shown, he withdrew his High Court action.
In the video, he was shown walking his dog and walking near his home in November 2018.
In another video taken in January last year, he was being pushed in a wheelchair to an office in Dublin city centre and using two crutches to mount some steps with assistance from others.
The footage shows him picking the wheelchair up and placing it in the boot of the car.
However, when he arrives into Dublin city centre, he is seen getting into the wheelchair and being wheeled to his medical appointment.
He told the High Court in January that he suffered serious back pain as a result of being hit by a car while cycling in Lusk on June 1, 2016. The car was never traced. He said he was brought by ambulance to hospital, where he was discharged the following day on crutches.
The MIBI denied his claim.
MIBI chief executive David Fitzgerald said at the time that the fact the case was withdrawn was a "victory for putting suspicious claims to the test".