| 22.9°C Dublin

'CCTV from accused's own home to be used in Ryan murder trial'


Paul O'Beirne

Paul O'Beirne

Paul O'Beirne

Two Dublin men have gone on trial, having pleaded not guilty to the "brutal, callous and shocking" murder of Vincent 'Vinny' Ryan - brother of slain Real IRA chief Alan Ryan - three years ago.

The "circumstantial evidence" against them includes CCTV footage from one of their own homes, the court heard.

The Central Criminal Court heard that Vincent Ryan (25) was shot dead as he sat in his car on McKee Road in Finglas, after dropping his partner and baby at her family home.

The prosecutor said no witness would identify Paul O'Beirne and Jeffrey Morrow as the gunmen in a car from which the shots were fired.


However, he said that by the end of the case, jurors would be satisfied that they were guilty.

Paul Burns SC said yesterday that some of the evidence would include CCTV footage from Mr O'Beirne's own home that day, allegedly showing him disposing of a seat cover from a car matching the description of the one used in the killing.

Mr O'Beirne (36), of Colepark Drive in Ballyfermot, and Mr Morrow (37), of Burnell Court on the Malahide Road in Coolock, have each pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Ryan on February 29, 2016.

"You'll hear evidence that will convince you beyond a reasonable doubt that Paul O'Beirne and Jeffrey Morrow planned and made preparations for the killing of Vincent Ryan, that they both took steps to bring that killing about and that Vincent Ryan was killed in accordance with those plans," Mr Burns said.

He said this, in itself, was sufficient to render them guilty of murder as aiders and abettors.

However, he said that the evidence would show that they were the occupants of a silver Volkswagen Golf from which the fatal shots were fired.

He said the jury would hear that they "went to considerable lengths" to cover up the details surrounding the killing and to hide their own involvement.

"The shooting of Vincent Ryan was brutal, callous and shocking, carried out in broad daylight in a residential area at a time when you could expect young children to be coming home from school or out playing on the street," he said.

Mr Burns said that Mr Ryan had left his home in Donaghmede that day. He had travelled with his partner and their new baby to his partner's family home on McKee Road.

He remained in the car while his partner brought their baby into the house and, at around 3.10pm, a silver Volkswagen Golf drove up alongside his car.

A number of shots were fired at him from the silver Golf. He was hit in the head and died in hospital that night.

A stolen silver Golf was found burning on the outskirts of Naas at 4.30pm that day. The owner had previously got a seat cover to protect his car from his two dogs.

"The car seat cover was found in a bin at [an address on] Colepark Drive, the home of Mr Paul O'Beirne," said Mr Burns.


The barrister explained that gardai had CCTV footage which allowed them to track the movements of the stolen Golf.

He said that, after the shooting, it had travelled in the direction of where it was burned out along with a Kia Sorento, which was then recorded travelling back to Dublin without it.

He said the Kia had belonged to Mr O'Beirne's partner, and that Mr O'Beirne had use of it.

Mr Burns also told the jury that Mr Morrow had called gardai a few nights before the killing and told them that he had got into a fight with one of the Ryans and believed someone was checking out his apartment.

Mr Burns said he was concerned for his safety and gardai were dispatched, but they had not found a man watching the flat.

He said gardai searched the homes of both accused a few weeks later. A CCTV system at Mr O'Beirne's home had been interfered with and gardai were unable to get footage from it.

He explained, however, that they searched a vehicle in Kinnegad a few days later and found the CCTV hard drive from Mr O'Beirne's home. It contained footage from the day of the shooting.

"Footage shows Paul O'Beirne being collected by a silver Volkswagen Golf," he said. "Mr O'Beirne is seen to remove something from the vehicle, a tarpaulin car seat cover, and place it in one of the bins at his home."

He said that the footage showed the two accused returning to Mr O'Beirne's home around 3.36pm.

"Around 3.52pm they leave... a Kia Sorento is seen leaving, following a silver Golf at that stage. Around 4.55pm, the Kia returns," he said.

Mr Burns said the prosecution would also seek to rely on mobile phone traffic in the case.

The trial continues.