| 5.2°C Dublin

Carjack case accused says sorry to victim


Janis Zarans. Photo: Hany Marzouk

Janis Zarans. Photo: Hany Marzouk

Janis Zarans. Photo: Hany Marzouk

A MAN charged in connection with a carjacking has apologised to the victim.

Janis Zarans (29) appeared before a special sitting of Longford District Court yesterday.

The Latvian national arrived in court handcuffed to a detective as he waited for the hearing to get under way.

Zarans, who has an address at Market Square, Longford, consulted briefly with his solicitor, Frank Gearty, and embraced a family member in the body of the court.

Dressed in a blue T-shirt, black tracksuit bottoms and runners, he had a number of cuts and abrasions to his face and head.

He is charged with the false imprisonment of Sabrina Cence at Heaton's car park, Townspark, Longford, on October 29.

Gda Orla Geraghty told Judge Grainne O'Neill that she had arrested and charged Zarans and issued the standard caution to him. In reply to the single charge, he had replied: "I want to apologise to the woman."

Mr Gearty said he was not applying for bail for his client at this stage. He had been issued with grounds of objection to bail by gardai beforehand, he said.

A statement of means of the accused man had been handed in to the court, Mr Gearty said, and he was applying for legal aid. His client had "no means at all", he said

Judge O'Neill asked Janis Zarans to confirm his statement and when he did, she granted legal aid, assigning Mr Gearty to represent him.

Gda Geraghty applied to have Zarans remanded in custody to appear again at Harristown District Court on November 7.

The judge queried if there was a need for medical attention, but Mr Gearty advised her that there was no requirement for a request for medical attention to be attached to the custody warrant.

A second man remains under medical attention at Tullamore Hospital following the carjacking in the centre of Longford town just before 6pm on Wednesday.

A woman returning to her car at the car park in Ballymahon Street was approached by two men and forced into the back of her car. Gardai in Longford tracked the incident on CCTV and gave chase.


The businesswoman's car eventually went off the road and crashed into a ditch on the Athlone Road. One man was arrested at the scene and a second fled on foot.

But he was hit by a car as he tried to cross the busy road and received a number of injuries. These are believed to include a broken arm and a facial injury. He was taken under garda escort to Tullamore Hospital.

The 46-year-old woman was rescued from the car by gardai and taken by ambulance to Mullingar Hospital. She was released on Thursday.