| 11°C Dublin

Cancer-stricken father of marked man Hanley jailed for brutal street robbery - but son won't be visiting


Gary Hanley’s father Martin Hanley (pictured) has been jailed for two-and-a-half years after pleading guilty to robbery

Gary Hanley’s father Martin Hanley (pictured) has been jailed for two-and-a-half years after pleading guilty to robbery

Gary Hanley’s father Martin Hanley (pictured) has been jailed for two-and-a-half years after pleading guilty to robbery

The father of gangland target Gary Hanley has been jailed for two-and-a-half years for a violent street robbery in which he broke his victim's leg.

Martin Hanley (55), who is understood to be estranged from his notorious gangster son Gary, is currently being housed in the Medical Unit of Mountjoy Prison, where he is receiving treatment in his ongoing cancer battle.

Unlike his 30-year-old son, Martin is not involved in serious or organised crime but the middle-aged man is well-known to gardai who have been policing the north inner city.


Last Friday, he pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Court to robbery at Gardiner Lane, Dublin, on November 23, 2017.

The court heard Hanley targeted and followed the victim before attacking him. He told him he had a knife, though no knife was ever produced.

He has not come to garda attention since the offence and his lawyer told the court the attack was "out of character" for him.

The court heard that Hanley is receiving treatment for cancer and has had a lung surgically removed.

Evidence was given that Martin Hanley knocked Frank O'Neill to the ground with a punch as the victim left a bookmakers shop with some winnings.

Hanley demanded money from the victim while he lay on the ground and stamped on the man's leg.

Judge Karen O'Connor said the attack was a vicious and frightening one, which shocked the victim and has left him worried for his personal safety.

She suspended the last two-and-a-half years of a five-year prison term and told Hanley he would be going to jail for longer but for the fact he has a "life-changing illness".

She placed him on a bond to be of good behaviour for two years and to engage with Probation Services after his release.

The victim's tibia bone was broken during the attack and he is no longer able to run.

For some time after the robbery he was unable to walk and could not walk "his beloved dog", Judge O'Connor said.

She said the injuries meant the victim, who is aged in his 60s, was likely to suffer from arthritis in the future.

Garrett McCormack BL, defending, said his client was at a very low ebb in his life at the time and was sorry for his actions.

Hanley and his family had raised €2,000 to offer the victim as a token of remorse but Mr O'Neill refused the offer.

It is understood that gangster Gary Hanley was not involved in these fundraising efforts.

"He has not spoken to his dad for years - he does not like him," a source said last night.

Gary is back in Ireland after he spent thousands of euro on a St Patrick's weekend family holiday to Disneyland Paris last month.

However, he has not been spotted around his fortified home in Marino in recent days.


He remains a key target for the Kinahan cartel, which has attempted to murder him three times since the capital's deadly gangland feud started.

An associate of the Hutch faction, Hanley and Patsy Hutch, the brother of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch, were lucky to escape with their lives when they were shot at after being lured to a "meeting" in Ballymun last November 29.

Patsy Hutch (57) has also survived at least three attempts on his life.

Last November, Luke Wilson (23) was jailed for 11 years after he admitted conspiring to murder Hanley at a location within the State between September 15 and November 6, 2017.

In November 2017, as part of the massive undercover operation which led to Ballyfermot thug Wilson being jailed, detectives saved Hanley's life when they arrested four men who were involved in an "active and imminent plot" to murder him at his Marino home.