Sunday 17 December 2017

Burglary suspect held in custody after €10,000 jewel raid on city home

A JUDGE has refused to grant bail to a man charged in connection with the theft of €10,000 worth of jewellery from a house in south Dublin.

Derek Mason (30) of Summerhill, Dublin 1, was remanded in custody when he appeared in Dublin District Court on a burglary charge.

Gardai objected to bail due to the seriousness of the charge against the defendant, the strength of the evidence and fears that he would commit further offences if released.

The prosecuting garda told the court that jewellery worth €10,000 and a mobile phone were taken from the house at St Helen's Wood, Booterstown, last Sunday. The culprit broke in through the front window between 6pm and 11pm.

The defendant was allegedly in possession of the mobile phone when he was arrested on Monday in the Store Street area. Gardai would also say forensic evidence would link him to the scene, although there was no report on this before the court.

Further tests were due to be carried out at the garda technical bureau, which officers hoped would give them more evidence.


Yvonne Bambury, defending, pointed out that the defendant was not charged with handling stolen property.

She said there was no indication that he would be unreliable in terms of appearing in court and said refusal of bail should only happen in exceptional circumstances. There was no evidence that he was a flight risk.

She said the court was being asked to refuse bail on the basis of a "verbal indication" given by forensic experts to the garda.

"We haven't got the opportunity to test how reliable that verbal indication is," Ms Bambury said.

She pointed out that the DPP's directions were not available yet so the court did not even know if the charge would go forward on indictment.

The investigation could take months and the defendant would be deprived of his liberty in the meantime, she said.

Judge McHugh said he was satisfied with the garda's evidence that a refusal of bail was considered necessary.

He remanded Mason to appear again in Cloverhill District Court on October 5 and directed medical attention for the defendant in custody.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News