'Brutal attack' left man unconscious outside takeaway
A young man was punched unconscious in a "brutal and protracted" attack outside a city takeaway, a court has heard.
Glen Towell is alleged to have been among a group who set upon the man in the incident.
The case against him was adjourned when he appeared before Dublin District Court.
Mr Towell, of St Mary's Lane, Dublin 7, is charged with assault causing harm to a man and violent disorder with others.
The offences are alleged to have happened outside Fortes takeaway, on Dorset Street Lower in the north inner city, last July 9.
Judge Bryan Smyth was told the DPP had consented to the case being dealt with at district court level.
A garda sergeant outlined the allegations so Judge Smyth could consider whether to accept jurisdiction.
She said a row took place among a number of intoxicated men, which led to the alleged victim being chased on to the road in front of the fast-food outlet.
It was alleged the man was subjected to a protracted and brutal assault in which he suffered multiple punches and was knocked unconscious.
On viewing CCTV footage, gardai saw the alleged victim was not kicked during the attack, she said, but there were "lots of punches".
Judge Smyth initially said he would refuse jurisdiction, but defence solicitor John Quinn said there were two co-accused before the court on an earlier date and another judge had accepted jurisdiction in their cases.
His client would be "taking a certain course", he added.
Mr Quinn said there was an earlier incident before the assault.
Judge Smyth said it was "a serious matter" as there was unconsciousness and a number of people involved.
However, he decided "in the circumstances" that he would accept jurisdiction.
He adjourned the case to a date in January for a victim impact statement, mitigation and finalisation.
The two co-accused had already been remanded to the same date, the court heard. All three men are on bail.