| 15.6°C Dublin

Bradley brother accepts driving car that ran over alleged murder victim, court told


Murder accused Paul Bradley. Photo: Collins Courts

Murder accused Paul Bradley. Photo: Collins Courts

Collins Courts.

Murder accused Paul Bradley. Photo: Collins Courts

A man on trial for murder with his father and two brothers accepts that he was driving a car that struck and went over the victim, his barrister told the Central Criminal Court yesterday.

Paul Bradley (54) and his sons Jason (20), Dean (24) and Ryan (18), of Liscarne Gardens, Dublin 22, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Neil Reilly (36) at Esker Glebe, Lucan, Dublin, on January 18, 2017.

Matthias Kelly SC, for Dean Bradley, said his client accepted that he was the driver of a BMW that struck Neil Reilly with the result that Mr Reilly, who his client says was already on the ground, went under the car.

Brendan Grehan SC, defending Paul Bradley, told the jury that his client admitted that he was the driver of a Mercedes jeep that followed Mr Reilly's Mazda car in the early hours of the morning.


He accepts that the Mazda crashed, and Mr Bradley's jeep crashed into it at Esker Glebe.

Mr Bradley then got out of his jeep and kicked Mr Reilly, who was "involved in an altercation" with his son Jason.

Paul Bradley further admitted Mr Reilly's blood was on his boots and trouser leg and that the dead man's phone was found in his jeep.

The prosecution alleges that the four men chased and murdered Mr Reilly after he fired two shots at their home at 4am.

A pathologist has told the trial that the victim had multiple chop wounds to his head, body and arms, and injuries consistent with being run over by a car.

The jury earlier heard from Graham Hynes, who told Mr Grehan that he met Mr Reilly in prison and they got back in touch in late 2016.


His son Dean. Photo: Collins Courts

His son Dean. Photo: Collins Courts

Collins Courts.

His son Dean. Photo: Collins Courts

The witness denied telling a garda, following Mr Reilly's death, that he knew about his plan to "blast" the Bradley home.

He further denied any knowledge of a plan to fire shots at a garage owned by the Bradleys or of a plan to shoot their dog.

Mr Hynes denied telling the same officer that a lot of people were upset about how Mr Reilly died and there would be "retaliation against the entire Bradley family".

While he accepted that he had been prosecuted for a firearms offence in the past, he said he did not know Mr Reilly had a shotgun and denied that Mr Reilly asked him for advice about the gun.

Previously, the court had heard from the victim's son, Dean Reilly, who told prosecution counsel Paul Murray that he knew the Bradley family well.

Dean Reilly's mother was not involved in his life and when his father was in prison the Bradley family welcomed him in.

He often ate dinner at their house and considered Ryan and Jason to be his closest friends.

When Dean's father was preparing to get out of prison, Paul Bradley offered him a job at his garage on the Naas Road.

However, Dean fell out with the Bradleys, he told Mr Grehan, when Jason ran up debts of €9,000 to his father.

While he accepted the debt could have been for drugs, he said he did not know anything about his father being a dealer and never saw him with drugs.

He said his father made money buying and selling cars and breeding dogs.

When Mr Grehan suggested Dean's father once threatened to "blow Jason's knees off" if he didn't get his money, the witness said he didn't think his father would say that.


He said such a threat would be "harsh" but his father might threaten someone who owed him money, to get their attention.

He further accepted he might "lean on" other members of a family to get his money back and he might break into their home and "wreck everything".

Mr Reilly broke down in tears as he identified his father on CCTV footage from the Bradley home, taken on December 13, 2016, showing him and two men breaking in through the front door.

Mr Grehan suggested that Neil Reilly was capable of "very great violence to get what he wanted", but the witness said he had never seen his father hit anyone.

He did accept his father had fired two shots at the Bradley home on the night he died, but said he did not intend to shoot any of the family.

The trial continues today.