herald

Monday 11 December 2017

Boy faces trial over garda hit by stolen jeep

A GARDA was seriously injured when she got "trapped" under a stolen 4x4 after being run over by a 15-year-old boy who drove straight at her, a court heard yesterday.

Garda Linda Bury and a colleague were dealing with an incident on Blackditch Road, in Ballyfermot, Dublin, last Halloween night when she was struck by a stolen vehicle.

She was freed by colleagues and taken to St James's Hospital to be treated for leg injuries.

The boy, now aged 16, had been charged at the Dublin Children's Court with driving the stolen 4x4, dangerous driving in a manner that "caused serious bodily harm" to Garda Bury and endangerment of life, in connection with the incident.

Judge Bryan Smyth ruled that the case was too serious to be heard in the Juvenile court. It was held that the teen should be tried in the Circuit Court, which can impose lengthier sentences.

Judge Smyth's decision to send the case to a higher court came after hearing an summary of the prosecution evidence.

Garda Sean White of Clondalkin station said a stolen 4x4 was being pursued in the Ballyfermot area.







FOOTPATH

In a separate incident, another garda car had already been rammed and gardai were injured.

He and Garda Bury had arrived at the scene when "the stolen jeep came up on the footpath and knocked Garda Bury down".

"She was trapped under the jeep," he said. He also told the judge that it was alleged that the boy, then aged 15, "drove directly at her and knocked her down".

She has not yet returned to work, the court also heard.

Defence solicitor Michelle Finan asked the judge to consider accepting jurisdiction.

She furnished the court with background welfare reports on the boy and asked the judge to take into consideration his age at the time, and his level of maturity.

Judge Smyth said: "It is a very serious matter, and I feel I should refuse jurisdiction."

The teenager was served with a book of evidence. He was remanded on continuing bail to later this month. The boy has not yet indicated how he intends to plead to the charges.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News