| 19.8°C Dublin

Boy believed his friend's injuries 'were inflicted by Ana', trial hears



schoolgirl Ana Kriegel

schoolgirl Ana Kriegel

schoolgirl Ana Kriegel

A boy told a detective he believed that injuries which his co-accused claimed he had suffered in an assault by two older teens had been inflicted on him by schoolgirl Ana Kriegel, a murder trial has heard.

Detective Garda Marcus Roantree told the Central Criminal Court that he had arranged to retrace Boy B's last interactions with Ana (14).

When Gda Roantree met Boy B on May 17, 2018 Ana's body had just been found.

Gda Roantree said Boy B told him that he had heard Ana's body had been discovered and was nervous because he was one of the last people to be seen with her.

The officer gave evidence that Boy B told him Boy A and his mother had called to his house on May 15, and this was the first time he had learnt Boy A had been assaulted.


Boy B said Boy A had spoken about it briefly.

Gda Roantree said Boy B told him he believed "Ana did this to him" as Boy A would have had "more marks on his face" if he had been assaulted by two big guys.

The youths, aged 13 at the time, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Ana at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, in Lucan, on May 14, last year. Boy A has also denied a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

It is the prosecution's case that Boy B "lured" Ana to the derelict farmhouse and then watched as the other boy sexually assaulted and murdered her.

Gda Roantree also said he took a voluntary DNA sample from Boy A on May 16, 2018 as well as photographs of the injuries he alleged he had received when he was assaulted.

He said Boy A told him that Ana had touched him, and put her hand across his shoulder and chest and this might be helpful.

Gda Roantree told prosecutor Brendan Grehan SC he hadn't asked Boy A any questions, and when he said Ana the garda knew he was referring to Ana Kriegel, who was still missing.

The Central Criminal Court also heard that Boy A helped gardai to generate a computer image of the two older men he alleged assaulted him on the day that Ana went missing.

Detective Garda Mairead Crowley said she spent three- and-a-half hours with Boy A generating the Evofit, or computer image, of the two men who he said had attacked him.

Gda Crowley said Boy A and his mother came to Garda Headquarters on May 17, 2018, to complete the Evofit.

Gda Crowley said Boy A gave "a very good description" of both his alleged attackers.

In her evidence, Boy A's mother said her son looked "very, very pale and shaking" when he arrived home at about 6pm on May 14.

His father said Boy A looked scruffy and dusty. He told him that he had got "hopped" by two older youths.

His father said Boy A told him he had been in the park with Boy B, but did not mention Ana.

Earlier, Gda Seamus Timmins said he checked the CCTV footage in the park between 4.30pm and 8pm on May 14, and he did not see any evidence of Boy A's alleged attackers.

He accepted not all the cameras in the park were working.

In his evidence, Boy A's father said his son was limping and "shaking" and had a bit of blood on his lip when he spoke to him in his bedroom at around 6pm.

He said he gave his son a cup of sweet tea.

The pair then drove around the park to see if they could spot anyone matching the descriptions his son had given him, but nobody fitted them.

In her evidence, Boy A's mother told the court that her son had been given permission to go out, and he came home at around 6pm.

He called her into his bedroom and looked rattled and shaken, she said.

Her son had a small spot of blood on his T-shirt as well as a small amount on his bottoms.

He looked like "he'd been beaten up", she added, and he said he had been attacked by two youths in the park.

She later washed her son's clothes, she told the court.

In cross examination, Boy A's mother accepted she couldn't remember exactly when her son told her he had met Boy B in the park.

Earlier, park ranger Norman Macken gave evidence he noticed small bits of blood on the fingers, face and trousers of a teenager who told him he "got a bit of a hiding" in the woods.

Mr Macken said he spoke to the boy, who looked "about 16", after his father knocked on the ranger station to complain his son had been assaulted.

The man was "very irate" he said, and told him his son had been "jumped" in the woods by a "couple of big fellas".

Mr Macken said he asked the boy if he was OK.

The boy put his hand to his eyes and told him he "just got a bit of a hiding in the woods".

Mr Macken said the boy did not seem to want to engage with him. His hands were shaking at that point, the court heard.


Mr Macken said he didn't look too closely but he noticed "small bits of blood" on the boy's fingers. His trousers also had a little bit of blood and there were "little bits" on his face.

Asked about the boy's demeanour, Mr Macken said he seemed "like a rabbit caught in headlights".

A doctor who examined Boy A told the court he had suffered "soft tissue injuries consistent with blunt-force trauma".

The GP said Boy A was brought to his clinic on May 16, 2018 as he had injuries which he had sustained in an alleged assault two days earlier.

The GP gave evidence that Boy A told him he had been assaulted in a random attack at about 5.30pm on May 14.

The GP conducted a brief examination, and found bruising and tenderness on the lower part of Boy A's back as well as swelling to his right knee. The teenager also had pain in his right wrist.

The trial continues.