herald

Sunday 22 April 2018

Boy (15) to remain in Oberstown as attempted murder case sent for trial

(stock photo)
(stock photo)

A boy of 15 has been sent forward for trial to the Central Criminal Court accused of attempting to murder a woman in a knife attack in Dun Laoghaire.

He remains at the Oberstown detention centre where, apart from court appearances, he has been since bail was refused on December 26 last year after garda objections.

The teenager, who has not made any renewed bail application, was originally charged with assault causing harm to the woman and production of a knife during the alleged assault at the Seafront, Dun Laoghaire, on December 23.

The woman, who was 25 and of Irish-Malaysian descent, was found at around 3.20pm on the date of the incident.

She was taken to hospital after suffering serious injuries, including a horizontal laceration to her neck.

The case was upgraded last month when an additional charge of attempted murder - which carries a possible life sentence - was brought.

Flicking

Yesterday, the boy faced his 10th hearing when he appeared at the Dublin Children's Court and was served with a book of evidence by Detective Garda Daniel Treacy.

The youth, dressed in runners, a hoodie, T-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, was accompanied to the hearing by his parents and his lawyer, Aisling Mulligan.

His mother sat beside him flicking through the book of evidence during the hearing.

A State solicitor told Judge John O'Connor the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) consented to the matter being returned for trial to the Central Criminal Court on all three charges in the book of evidence.

Judge O'Connor gave the youth the standard warning that he must notify the prosecution within 14 days if he intended to use an alibi in his defence, and that names and addresses of witnesses would have to be provided.

He explained that an alibi was used to show a person was not in a particular place at the time of an offence.

The accused, who has not yet indicated how he will plead, spoke briefly, at first to greet the judge and then to confirm he understood the alibi warning issued to him.

Judge O'Connor then acceded to the DPP's application and ordered that the boy be returned for trial to the present term of the Central Criminal Court. His first appearance at that court is expected to be within the next month.

Interviews

Legal aid was granted for the defence. The judge also directed that copies of recorded garda interviews with the boy would be provided to the defence.

Earlier, the court had been told there was a "quite extensive file" which was unusually complex and involved 109 witnesses.

Due to the nature of the new charge, a bail application could only be heard in the High Court.

Previously, the boy's solicitor told the Children's Court a number of issues were being attended to, and based on information from the boy's psychiatrist, these were best dealt with in his current setting.

During another hearing on January 25, the defence said the teen was undergoing treatment and that the parents had "severe concerns for his personal safety".

The defence said it would be brought to the judge's attention if there was an alternative to being in the detention centre.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News