| 7.5°C Dublin

Boy (15) faces assault charges

A 15-YEAR-OLD boy is to face a Circuit Court trial over an unprovoked attack and robbery which left a youth "afraid to go out on his own".

The defendant, who cannot be identified because he is a juvenile, has been charged with assault causing harm and robbery of a 17-year-old youth, in Finglas on May 2 last.

Garda Mary Kilcommon told the Children's Court that the victim suffered from Asperger's Syndrome.

"It [the attack] had a serious effect on his life, he is afraid to go out on his own," she said.

Judge Ryan refused jurisdiction and held that the case should be sent forward for trial to the Circuit Court.

The teenager, who had been in custody on remand, was granted bail yesterday after the court heard that the HSE would place him in a care unit in north Dublin.

The boy was ordered to obey a curfew, remain sober and abide by the rules of the care home.

He will appear again in April when he is to be served with a book of evidence.

The teenager is also facing separate charges on his next court appearance.

hnews@herald.ie