Sunday 19 May 2019

Boy (13) flanked by his parents as he's charged with vicious murder of Ana

Ana Kriegel was found dead at a derelict property in Lucan. Photo: Austin Crowe
Ana Kriegel was found dead at a derelict property in Lucan. Photo: Austin Crowe

A boy of 13 has been charged with the murder of schoolgirl Anastasia 'Ana' Kriegel.

The accused - one of the youngest people in modern Irish history to be charged with the offence - cannot be identified because of his age.

He was yesterday accompanied to the special sitting of Dublin Children's Court by his parents and grandfather.

He was charged with the murder of Ana on May 14 at Glenwood House, Clonee Road, Lucan.

It is alleged he killed the 14-year-old, who lived in the Newtown Park Estate, Leixlip, on the day she was reported missing by her parents.

Three days later after a massive search operation, her body was discovered at the derelict property where the murder is alleged to have occurred.

The boy only spoke briefly during the in-camera hearing of less than 10 minutes.

His mother sat beside him, with his father sitting at the side of the defence counsel and his grandfather behind.


When asked by Judge John O'Connor if this was his first time in court, the accused nodded and replied "Yeah".

Detective Inspector Mark O'Neill, of Lucan Garda Station, said that he arrested the youth at 4.01pm yesterday at Clondalkin Garda Station.

"He was charged by the member in charge, Sergeant Maeve Ward," he said. "His father was present."

He added that the youth made no reply when the charge of murder was put to him.

Wearing a black jumper, blue jeans and black runners, the boy had a slight limp as he walked into court. Judge O'Connor said he did not have jurisdiction to grant bail due to the nature of the charge.

After it was confirmed there was a place available at the Oberstown Detention Centre, he remanded the boy in custody to appear again on June 1.

He cited the reporting restrictions in juvenile cases.

"No report shall be published or included in a broadcast which reveals the name, address or school of any child concerned in the proceedings or includes any particulars likely to lead to the identification of any child concerned in the proceedings, and no picture shall be published or included in a broadcast as being or including a picture of any child concerned in the proceedings or which is likely to lead to his or her identification," he said.

Three reporters were present in the tiny courtroom for the hearing while other journalists waited outside.

The judge stressed that reporting restrictions were essential for a fair trial.

He warned that he wanted to make it clear that if the boy's name, school or address or a picture of him was reproduced, it would result in a prosecution for the publisher.

He said he was aware the journalists present understood this. "I am doing this from the point of view of general social media," the judge said.

Legal aid was granted after the judge noted from defence counsel Donagh Molloy that the boy was "a schoolchild, 13 years of age".

As it was the boy's first court appearance, he could not be remanded in custody for longer than a week.

Judge O'Connor asked his solicitor if an order for medical attention was required. Mr Molloy replied: "I will liaise with Oberstown in that regard."

The suspect was then remanded in custody and escorted from the courtroom.

The judge allowed the solicitor to speak with his client and his parents before the boy was taken to the detention centre.

A second juvenile arrested on Thursday morning in relation to the investigation was released without charge yesterday.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News