| 13.8°C Dublin

Boy (13) accused of Ana's murder to be granted bail

Close

Murder victim Ana Kriegel

Murder victim Ana Kriegel

Murder victim Ana Kriegel

A 13-year-old boy charged with the murder of Kildare schoolgirl Ana Kriegel is to be granted bail.

The boy, who cannot be named because he is a child, was the first to be charged with the murder of the 14-year-old girl at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, Dublin, on May 14.

Her body was found at the disused farmhouse three days after she was reported missing.

The teen was due to face his fifth hearing at the Dublin Children's Court yesterday, having been charged and remanded in custody on May 25 and then refused bail on June 29 by the High Court.

Judge John O'Connor was told at the Children's Court that the prosecution had made significant progress in the case and a psychiatric assessment was carried out.

Defence solicitor Donough Molloy explained to Judge O'Connor the boy was before the High Court at that the time.

Mr Molloy said he understood bail had been granted there but he was not yet aware of the terms. There was a recess in the case and when it resumed a State solicitor told Judge O'Connor the High Court's order was being finalised.

Judge O'Connor agreed to a "remand in custody with consent to bail".

He was also told it was understood bail would not be taken up by the boy for several days.

Judge O'Connor adjourned the case until Thursday.

At the boy's first hearing on May 25, Garda Inspector Mark O'Neill told the court: "In reply to that charge after caution, he had nothing to say." Legal aid had been granted after the court was told the teen's age and that he was a schoolchild.

Charged

On July 12, a second 13-year-old boy, was charged with the girl's murder and he was also remanded in custody to the Oberstown youth detention centre. He will face his next hearing on July 31, 2018.

At that boy's first hearing, Det Sergeant Damien Gannon said that teen "made no reply to the charge after caution".

There has been no indication yet as to how either boy intends to plead. The Children's Court judge has issued a warning to social media users that any attempt to identify them would result in prosecution.