Boxer who fought in street says he was attacked first
AN amateur boxer who got into a street fight said he used his boxing skills to take a pair of vice-grips off another man because he felt that he was under threat.
Martin Sweeney (30) said he had been seriously assaulted by the other man in 2008 and was simply trying to protect himself.
However, he said he had shown some restraint as he had the skills which could have caused injury to the other man and he had not used them.
A judge ordered Sweeney to complete 40 hours of voluntary work and said she would apply the Probation Act.
Sweeney, of Kiltalown View, Tallaght, admitted before Dun Laoghaire District Court to a charge of threatening and abusive behaviour.
The incident took place at Convent Road, in Dun Laoghaire, on November 25 last year.
Garda Sergeant Peadar McCann said gardai were called following reports that two men were fighting. Sgt McCann said Sweeney had a pair of metal vice-grips in his hand and is alleged to have threatened the other man with violence.
The sergeant said the men were separated by gardai.
He said it was unknown what had sparked off the fight, but there was a history between the men. Sgt McCann said Sweeney was seriously assaulted by the other man in 2008. The court heard the defendant had no previous convictions. Defence lawyer said Sweeney, a married man with four children, deeply regretted the incident, and wished to apologise.
The lawyer said Sweeney was previously assaulted, was in fear and reacted badly.
Judge Ann Ryan gave Sweeney the benefit of the doubt and ordered him to complete 40 hours' voluntary work. If Sweeney completes the work, she will apply the Probation Act.