Monday 18 December 2017

Body of gentle Pole is flown home for burial

COURT: Murder sparks charges

This is the gentle Polish man who was beaten to death as he innocently walked to work.

Lukasz Rzeszutko (27) lost his battle for life on Monday evening after his family decided to turn off his life-support machine.

His family, who travelled from Poland at the weekend to be at his bedside, are planning to bring their loved one home for his burial later this week.

He passed away surrounded by his relatives and his partner in the Intensive Care Unit of Beaumont Hospital.

Detectives have upgraded their investigation to a murder enquiry.

Mr Rzeszutko was attacked in the early hours of last Saturday by a group of men as he walked to work at a fish processing plant in Newtown Industrial Estate in Coolock, Dublin.

He had been working at Kish Fish since 2007, along with his brother Piotr, and was making his way to his 5am shift when he was attacked.

Lukasz grew up in a small village called Jedzbark in the Polish Lake District.


He graduated with a degree in engineering in 2001 and went on to study for a Masters. He graduated in 2002 and five years later he moved to Ireland along with his partner.

The couple had been living in Clarehall, on the northside of Dublin since 2007.

One friend, who is living in Dublin, wrote on a Polish chat forum: "I knew him. He was a really nice quiet guy. I was at the hospital yesterday. It was a horrible shock for all of us."

Gardai investigating the beating are seeking a fourth suspect they believe has gone on the run.

Three men were arrested over the weekend in relation to the attack. One man has been charged while two teenagers have been released without charge.

Edward Byrne (20), with an address at a Dublin 8 YMCA hostel, was arrested on Sunday evening and was charged with assault causing harm yesterday at Dublin District Court.

He was remanded in custody by Judge John McHugh to appear at Cloverhill District Court this Friday.

A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions with regard to the two teenagers, who were released from garda custody late last night.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News