Monday 23 April 2018

Blood-covered drunk attacked cash-in-transit van on city street

 Stock photo
 Stock photo

A man covered in blood had to be physically restrained by gardai after he began to attack a cash-in-transit van on a city centre street.

Vanderlei Fonseca de Oliveira (33) damaged the van when he kicked and punched it after it parked up, forcing staff to set off a panic alarm.

De Oliveira had medical and addiction problems at the time of the incident, Dublin District Court heard.

Judge John Lindsay applied the Probation Act, leaving him without convictions after hearing he was due to return to his native Brazil the day after the court hearing.

De Oliveira, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to damaging a cash-in-transit van, possession of a knife, public drunkenness and threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour.

Sgt Eimear Curran told the court that a panic alarm was activated from the van on Henry Street at 3.30pm on July 7.

When they arrived, gardai found the accused intoxicated, with blood down his front, kicking and hitting the van.

He had to be forcibly removed from the van and restrained by gardai.


He continued to be unco- operative when he was arrested and taken to a garda station.

When searched, gardai found a three-inch knife and syringes in his possession.

He had not disclosed these to officers before they began searching him.

Separately, gardai were on patrol in South Great George's Street at 9.50pm on August 10 when they saw the accused in a highly intoxicated state, drinking from a bottle of vodka.

The officers approached De Oliveira, seized the bottle and disposed of it by throwing it into a bin.

The accused became extremely irate and began threatening the gardai and "calling them different names", said Sgt Curran.

He refused to leave the area and was arrested.

De Oliveira came to Ireland eight months ago to study, but his college place fell through, his lawyer said.

He had a number of medical problems complicated by a drug addiction, but was "much more stable" now.

During his time here, the accused had become homeless and was assaulted on the street, which was the reason he carried the knife.

His recollection of both incidents was very limited as he had been under the influence of substances.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News