A TEENAGE mugger, who targeted schoolchildren in Blackrock, Dublin, for their dinner money so he could buy drugs, is to be sentenced in September.
The 17-year-old boy, who is on bail, has pleaded guilty to robbery charges at the Dublin Children's Court and Judge Michael Coghlan heard that a pre-sentence probation report on the boy was negative.
The teenager, who lives in Dublin with his father, had been ordered to co-operate with a probation officer which is assessing his likelihood of re-offending.
But Judge Coghlan said the report showed a "decreased motivation to engage".
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble said a previous report on the teenager had been more favourable; and at one point the teenager had left the city to live with another relative, but has now returned.
Mr Noble also said the boy and his father had recently moved house and had not notified the Probation Service of their new address.
A social worker's report also outlined his background and issues have also been raised in relation to the boy's schooling, the court was told.
Adjourning sentencing, Judge Coghlan said it needed to be impressed on the boy that "no further excuses are acceptable". He must turn up for his appointments with his probation officer and carry out directions given to him.
Garda Brian McCabe had told the court earlier that on September 27, 2010, a schoolboy had been making his way through Blackrock Park when the accused allegedly asked him for his money saying: "I need to buy weed."
The boy told the youth he needed his money for dinner.
The teen was then joined by four other youths and told the boy "give it now or this lad will knock you out".
The boy's wallet containing ¤9 was then taken.
The court heard that on the same date the youth and his accomplices approached three other children from Blackrock College. One was asked to hand over his mobile phone and the other victims were "ordered to empty their pockets".
A threat was made to one boy "that his jaw would be broken", the court had heard at an earlier stage.