| 20.3°C Dublin

Bail for man said to have repeatedly broken virus rules


Sean McSharry is accused of ignoring the directions of gardai

Sean McSharry is accused of ignoring the directions of gardai

Sean McSharry is accused of ignoring the directions of gardai

A man accused of breaching Covd-19 regulations was found in a late-night gathering of young people who were drinking and playing loud music in a wooded area, a court has heard.

Sean McSharry (22) was arrested after allegedly failing to go home despite repeated garda directions.

He was granted bail, and the case against him was adjourned at Dublin District Court.

Mr McSharry, of Stillorgan Park, is charged with public intoxication and failing to comply with garda directions under the Health Act.

The offences are alleged to have happened at Murphystown Way, Leopardstown, on May 8, when a number of other arrests were also made.

A garda sergeant told Judge Gerard Jones the DPP was consenting to summary disposal of the Covid regulations breach charge at district court level.

She said it was alleged that a number of people were in a wooded area, playing loud music and drinking alcohol.

This took place adjacent to residential properties, she said.


The group were given directions to move on at 11.55pm, but had to be directed again at 12.20am when gardai found them 400 metres away in the same area.

The accused was arrested at 1.40am.

There was a "quantity of alcohol consumed", and the accused was also alleged to have been in further breach of the regulations by being 5.4km from his own residence at the time, the sergeant told the court.

Gardai objected to bail, she added.

Mr McSharry came from a "very good family" and would abide by bail conditions, which would be explained to him, his solicitor John O'Doherty said.

The accused then gave a sworn undertaking to abide by the Covid-19 regulations.

Judge Jones asked him if he understood the regulations.

"I do, yeah," Mr McSharry replied.

The judge did not require any cash bail, but conditions included a curfew between 11pm and 7am, and the accused is also to be of sober habits.

He was remanded on bail to appear before Dun Laoghaire District Court in September.