| 18.1°C Dublin

Bail for man accused of sex assault on teen and exposure in park

Close

Ahmed Yagoub was granted bail subject to strict conditions

Ahmed Yagoub was granted bail subject to strict conditions

Ahmed Yagoub was granted bail subject to strict conditions

This is the man accused of sexually assaulting a young woman and exposing himself to teenage girls in a Dublin park.

Ahmed Yagoub (56) walked free from court after a judge granted him bail subject to strict conditions.

The Argentinian is alleged to have grabbed a 19-year-old woman between her legs after she went behind bushes to go to the toilet in the park.

In an earlier incident, he allegedly performed a sex act on himself in front of two 16-year-olds after following them into the same park from a local shop.

Judge Anthony Halpin remanded him on bail on condition that he stays away from the park, as well as two Dublin postcode areas.

Offensive

Mr Yagoub, of The Crescent, Millbrook Lawns, Tallaght, is charged with sexual assault and offensive conduct of a sexual nature.

The incidents are alleged to have happened on June 26 and July 11 and the accused was first brought before Dublin District Court last week. Judge Halpin had deferred a decision on bail.

Yesterday, defence barrister John Griffin renewed a bail application and Garda Sergeant Fiona Clifford said that after initial doubts, she was now satisfied as to Mr Yagoub's identity.

Both his Argentinian and Algerian passports had been surrendered.

However, her objections over the seriousness of the allegations still stood.

Judge Halpin asked if the accused's wife could supervise him at all times outside, pending the DPP's directions. However, the court heard she had overstayed on a visa and was due to return home to Russia.

The judge instead imposed conditions requiring the accused to provide an alternative address, sign on at a garda station, observe a curfew, provide a mobile phone number and stay out of the areas in question. He said the gardai could re-enter the case in the event of any breach.

Last week, the court heard Mr Yagoub replied "I didn't do it", and "I didn't do anything" when charged.

In that hearing, Sgt Clifford said in the first incident, two 16-year-olds were in a shop near the park when they saw the accused and believed him to be following them.

He said "hello" and they asked "are you following us?", Sgt Clifford said. He walked away and the girls left the shop and walked across the car park.

A witness said she saw the girls go into the park, with the accused following behind them. She could see him from behind and believed him to be masturbating, the sergeant said.

The two girls then turned around and it was alleged they also saw him masturbating.

The court heard the accused told gardai that he did see the girls in the shop and that he was in the park but offered the possible scenario that if he did take out his genitals, he may have been urinating.

In the more recent incident, two friends, aged 19 and 17, were socialising there and went to go to the toilet in bushes, Sgt Clifford said.

The 19-year-old pulled down her underwear and proceeded to go to the toilet when she noticed a man behind her.

She pulled up her trousers and he grabbed her by the buttocks, then pinched her between her legs over her clothes, the garda alleged.

The young woman jumped up, the friends saw the man had his genitals exposed and started screaming. The girls ran out of the bushes and the suspect ran from the scene, Sgt Clifford said.

Another friend recorded the suspect on his mobile phone and a garda later identified the accused, it was alleged.

Mr Yagoub admitted he was at the scene and saw the two teenagers but denied any sexual offence, the court heard.