Wednesday 22 November 2017

Attack left Polish worker's brain showing, court told

MURDER TRIAL: Victim was 'model employee'

A worker was beaten so badly on his way to start a shift that his brains were left protruding from his nostrils, a court heard.

Lukasz Rzeszutko (27) died following unsurvivable and catastrophic injuries in an early morning attack in Coolock, north Dublin, the Central Criminal Court was told.

He had come to Ireland from Poland to work, and was a staff member at Kish Fish, where he worked with his two brothers.


Edward Byrne (21) of Cabra Park, Cabra; Martin Morgan (20) of Tonlegee Road, Raheny; and Stephen Byrne (18) of St Donagh's Road, Donaghmede plead not guilty to his murder.

A jury of nine men and three women yesterday listened to the opening speech in the trial.

Aileen Donnelly, prosecuting, said Mr Rzeszutko died on October 4, 2010 in Beaumont Hospital as a result of skull and brain injuries sustained two days earlier. Fractures to his skull, bruising and bleeding to his brain, and injuries to his face were caused by blunt force trauma, she said.

"It's the prosecution case that these injuries were inflicted on him by the accused in an assault on October 2, 2010 in Newtown Industrial Estate in Coolock," she said.

"It's the prosecution case that each of them participated in the assault and that each had the intention to kill or at least cause serious injury to Mr Rzeszutko." She said this would make them guilty of murder.

Ms Donnelly explained that the victim had come from Poland to work here. He was hard-working and his employer in Kish Fish, Tadhg O'Meara, viewed him as 'a model worker'. She said Mr Rzeszutko's two brothers also worked in Kish Fish but worked different shifts.

The victim usually walked to and from work and on the day he was attacked, was due in to work in early in the morning.

A colleague leaving work at 4.30am drove out the gate of the fish suppliers and saw a person lying on the ground, but didn't recognise him.


"He got out of the car and thought this man was dead," explained Ms Donnelly. "Then he thought he heard a snore and rang an ambulance."

Mr O'Meara also came on the scene but also didn't recognise the victim due to his injuries. Mr Rzeszutko had his mobile phone and wallet and was soon identified as Mr Rzeszutko.

"He had brain tissue protruding from his nostrils," said Ms Donnelly. "The doctor took the view that his injuries were unsurvivable."

She said evidence would show the three accused and two teenaged girls had been in the vicinity where Mr Rzeszutko was found.

She said Edward Byrne and Stephen Byrne were not related but Edward Byrne and Martin Morgan were cousins.

"It is the prosecution case that the three accused participated in this devastating assault, leading to these catastrophic injuries and intended to kill or seriously injure Mr Rzeszutko," she concluded.

The trial continues.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News