herald

Thursday 21 November 2019

Ana's killers to be locked up until 2027 and 2031 at very earliest, court hears

Tragic Ana Kriegel
Tragic Ana Kriegel

Ana Kriegel's teenage killers' earliest possible dates of release from their sentences will be in 2027 and 2031, the Central Criminal Court has heard.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott said progress reports on the boys' development and rehabilitation while in custody should be prepared every two years until their sentences come up for review.

He said the reports were not intended to "micro-manage" the boys' sentences, but to give the court a clear view of what has happened in the course of their detention.

The boys had earlier been handed down separate sentences of life and 15 years for Ana's murder.

Boy A and Boy B, who are now 15 years old, were found guilty in June of murdering the schoolgirl at an abandoned farmhouse last year.

Gardai at the scene of Ana's murder
Gardai at the scene of Ana's murder

The boys, who were just 13 at the time of her killing, had denied the offences.

Ana's body, naked apart from a pair of black socks, was found by gardai at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, in Lucan, on May 17 last year.

The 14-year-old had been reported missing by her parents Patric and Geraldine Kriegel three days earlier.

Different

Last Tuesday, Boy A was given a life sentence, with a review after 12 years, for murder. Judge McDermott also imposed a fixed sentence of eight years on Boy A for aggravated sexual assault to run concurrently with the murder sentence.

Boy B was given a 15-year sentence, with a review after eight years, with Judge McDermott saying the two cases were significantly different.

The sentences were backdated to the date in June when the teenagers were convicted.

When the case came before the court again yesterday, Judge McDermott first clarified that the review of Boy B's case would begin on January 19, 2026.

He then said he wanted the court to be fully informed on both boys' progress and development in custody.

The first phase brought them until they were 18, and they would be transferred to an adult facility when they were 18 years and six months old.

Reports on their engagement with educational, psychological and psychiatric services would be of assistance to those taking over custody, the judge said.

There should also be a plan for their further development while in prison.

Reports should then be prepared at two-year intervals, chronicling what has happened, which would be available to the courts at review.

"They are not reports for the purpose of micro-managing the sentences, it is for the courts to have a very clear view of what's happened during the course of their detention," he said.

Prosecutor Brendan Grehan SC said in Boy A's case, his sentence would be reviewed effectively on the 12th anniversary of the date of conviction.

The review process would begin in January 2029 and the earliest he could expect to be released from "the custodial portion" was June 18, 2031.

Boy B's review would begin on January 19, 2026, and the earliest he could expect to be released was June 18, 2027, Mr Grehan said.

Neither boy was required to be present for the hearing.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News