herald

Wednesday 12 December 2018

Ana murder accused (13) granted bail under supervision scheme

Ana Kriegel was found dead at a disused farmhouse in May
Ana Kriegel was found dead at a disused farmhouse in May

A 13-year-old boy has been released pending trial for the murder of Kildare schoolgirl Ana Kriegel, but has been ordered to comply with a bail supervision programme.

The boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, was the first to be charged with the murder of 14-year-old Ana at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, on May 14.

Her body was found at the disused farmhouse three days after she was reported missing.

The teenage boy was charged and remanded in custody on May 25, but terms for bail were set in the High Court on Monday.

It was taken up, and the teenager arrived on bail for his latest hearing at Dublin Children's Court yesterday.

Evidence

He was accompanied by his father and his grandfather but did not address the court.

A state solicitor told Judge Flann Brennan that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has issued a direction under Section 52.4 of the 2001 Children Act confirming the case will proceed.

The judge heard the DPP "has directed trial on indictment in respect of this charge", which means the case will be transferred to the Central Criminal Court once the book of evidence has been completed.

Defence solicitor Donough Molloy told Judge Brennan there was consent to a four-week adjournment.

The terms of bail, which required an independent surety, were not stated at the hearing yesterday.

However, Gda Insp Mark O'Neill told the hearing that the High Court had ordered the teenager and his family to liaise with the Extern Ireland organisation with regard to bail issues.

A youth worker from the agency has met the boy's family already and was in court for the hearing.

The social justice charity has been allowed to work alongside the juvenile justice system in providing a bail supervision scheme to ensure young people and their families are supported to help them comply with court orders.

Insp O'Neill proposed that the youth worker assigned to the case would provide an assessment for the next hearing at the Children's Court on August 30.

He acknowledged that in the High Court order there was no provision to have a report.

Judge Brennan agreed to make the order after the defence solicitor said there was no objection to a report being furnished.

Mr Molloy said there was a requirement on his client to liaise with the bail support agency and "we are happy to do that".

The teen was then remanded on bail.

The book of evidence was being drafted and would probably be ready in three or four weeks, the court heard at an earlier hearing, on July 23.

Ana, who was adopted from Russia at the age of two, left her home in Leixlip at about 5pm on May 14 and did not return.

Her parents were unable to contact her phone and alerted gardai. Her body was found three days later.

At the boy's first hearing on May 25, Insp O'Neill told the court: "In reply to that charge after caution, he had nothing to say."

Plead

Legal aid had been granted after the court was told the teenager's age and that he was a schoolchild.

On July 12, a second 13-year-old boy was also charged with Ana's murder.

He too was remanded to the Oberstown youth detention centre.

He remains in custody, however, and is due to face his next hearing on August 14.

At that boy's first hearing, Det Sgt Damien Gannon said the teen "made no reply to the charge after caution".

There has been no indication yet as to how either of them intended to plead.

The Children's Court has issued a warning that any attempt to identify the pair on social media will result in prosecution.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News