Monday 20 November 2017

Accused sent woman 'smiley' message after alleged rape, court told

(stock photo)
(stock photo)

A woman who claims she was raped by a man she met on the dating app Tinder said the accused sent her a "smiley face" text message after the alleged attack, a court heard yesterday.

The Louth man (36) has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape at Kilmashogue Lane on September 11, 2014.

Both the accused and the complainant are entitled to anonymity throughout the trial.

The alleged victim told Alexander Owens, prosecuting, that, after matching on Tinder, the pair exchanged messages on WhatsApp, with the accused sending up to 20 messages to her within a 24-hour period.

The 31-year-old woman, who was a university student at the time, said that the accused "sounded cross" when she cancelled their first arranged meeting at short notice.

However, a subsequent date was arranged for September 11 and an arrangement was made to go for "a spin and a coffee".

She said he told her they would take the "long way back" to the city and he drove down a rural road.

He stopped the car and said: "I wouldn't abandon you in the mountains."

She said that, after a brief kissing session, she asked him to "take it easy". He said to her: "What the f**k do you think we're here for?"

She said she did not want a "one-night stand" and left the car after he told her to "get the f**k out".

She got out and he drove off. She took out her phone to ring a friend but there was no signal.

The car disappeared from sight but returned a few minutes later and stopped by her.

The man told her "it's grand, get in" and she got in because she felt like she did not have a choice.


He drove the car back to where they had been and he stopped and began kissing her.

He pulled a lever to drop her seat back and moved quickly to get on top of her. She said she was terrified and said no to him.

The alleged victim said that she asked him to stop but, when he began to remove her clothes, she stopped resisting him. She said he then raped her.

Afterwards, he dropped her home and she said the accused sent her a WhatsApp message with a smiley face, which she deleted.

When the trial opened on Thursday, Mr Owens told the jury at the Central Criminal Court that the alleged victim downloaded Tinder in September 2014 and began exchanging messages with the accused.

Mr Owens said that, three days after their first online meeting, the pair arranged a date. The accused collected the alleged victim outside her home and drove her to a McDonald's, where they bought ice cream and coffee, he said.

Mr Owens said the jury would hear evidence that they then went for a drive and the accused became "extremely angry" when the woman rebuffed his sexual advances.

Mr Owens said the accused angrily ordered his date out of his car and drove away.

"It was after 10pm. This woman was stuck out there in the mountains and had no phone communication," he said.

It is alleged the accused then drove back and said to the complainant: "Get back into the car."

The woman did as she was asked, Mr Owens said.

The trial continues.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News