Thursday 22 August 2019

Accused gets legal aid - despite claims he owns €4k Rolex

Gary Gleeson (33) is charged with conspiracy to murder
Gary Gleeson (33) is charged with conspiracy to murder

A judge has granted legal aid to a man charged with conspiracy to murder a Dublin man.

Gardai objected to legal aid being granted to Gary Gleeson (33), of Muskerry Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10, on the grounds he may have received a €46,000 insurance payout.

He and co-defendant Stephen Dunne (38), of Meile an Ri Drive, Lucan, Co Dublin, are charged with conspiring to murder Michael Frazer at a location within the State between July 28 and August 7 this year.

Both men also have two charges under the Firearms Act for possession of a semi-automatic pistol and 10 rounds of ammunition with intent to endanger life at the Naas Road, Crumlin, on August 7.

The pair, who were arrested by officers from the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau (DOCB), could face possible further charges.

They were remanded in custody at their first hearing on August 14.

Mr Gleeson appeared again before Judge Kathryn Hutton at Cloverhill District Court yesterday for a decision on whether he was entitled to legal aid.


That issue had been deferred after a judge was told that a statement of Mr Gleeson's assets included a €4,000 Rolex watch and an Audi car, believed to be worth €14,000.

Det Gda Val Russell had said previously that checks were carried out in relation to Mr Gleeson's financial situation.

When the case resumed yesterday, he said that a statement of the defendant's means appeared to have an omission in relation to a €46,000 insurance settlement Mr Gleeson allegedly received in July. A Criminal Assets Bureau investigation was ongoing, he added.

He did not have anyone in court yesterday to back this up.

Defence counsel Aoife O'Halloran asked for legal aid to be granted. She said her client, who remains in custody, was unable to dispose of assets or fund his defence.

She also submitted that the source of the garda's information was not before the court and the evidence was hearsay.

Judge Hutton said that as gardai did not have documentary evidence, she was granting legal aid.

The accused was further remanded in custody to appear again in four weeks.

Legal aid had been granted earlier to the co-defendant, who is due back in court next week.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News