| 18.4°C Dublin

Accused boy claimed Ana might have been 'kidnapped' by men in park, trial is told


Floral tributes outside the derelict farm building where Ana's body was found

Floral tributes outside the derelict farm building where Ana's body was found

Ana Kriegel

Ana Kriegel


Floral tributes outside the derelict farm building where Ana's body was found

A boy accused of murdering Ana Kriegel (14) told a counsellor she might have been kidnapped by the men who attacked his co-accused, a trial has heard.

The Central Criminal Court heard that the boy told the counsellor "around 10 times" that he was not the last person to see the schoolgirl on the day she disappeared.

The guidance counsellor also said that the teenager, known as Boy B, told her he felt as though he had been "dragged into this mess" by his co-accused, Boy A.


He said he had only been trying to do "a good turn for a mate" by calling to Ana's home.

Earlier, State Pathologist Prof Marie Cassidy told the court Ana died as a result of blunt force trauma to the head and neck. In cross-examination, she agreed that Ana had died a "very horrific death".

In her evidence, the guidance counsellor said that Boy B told her he felt as though he had been interrogated by gardai.

He told her he had spoken to gardai three times, had been taken away in a garda van, and felt it was an "ordeal".

The trial heard that the counsellor said the boy offered a theory about what had happened to Ana.

He said that perhaps the men who had attacked Boy A had "got, taken or kidnapped" her.

The two youths, both aged 13 at the time of Ana's death, have pleaded not guilty to her murder at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, on May 14 last year.

Boy A has also denied a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

The court heard that the counsellor said she knew Boy B was one of the last people to see Ana, so she arranged to speak to him on May 16.

She said he told her he was "stressed" and "feeling the pressure" of being interviewed by gardai. She said he called it an "interrogation".

During their conversation, she said he mentioned "around 10 times" that he was not the last person to see Ana.

The trial heard that he told her he had walked with Ana to the park, but he had then left.

The counsellor said she was "impressed" by Boy B, who seemed a "very bright boy".

She said his speech flowed, he looked her straight in the eye and he seemed very calm.

Prof Cassidy told the court that Ana was found dead in a derelict building a few days after she was reported missing.

She was naked and there was evidence that she had been violently assaulted in the building.

The post-mortem examination showed that Ana had suffered severe and extensive injuries, which were mostly confined to the head and neck area.


Prof Cassidy also identified more than 50 areas of injury on the schoolgirl's head and body.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott told the Central Criminal Court jury that an application had been made to excuse both the accused from attending during Prof Cassidy's testimony, and he had agreed to that application.

Prof Cassidy gave evidence that she was told Ana had been last seen at 5.30pm on May 14 last year.

A search had taken place in a local park between May 14 and May 17, and her body had been located at 1pm that day.

Prof Cassidy said she attended the derelict building where Ana's body was found.

The teenager was lying on her back and her arm was grasping a ligature on her neck.

Prof Cassidy said her impression was that Ana had received her injuries closer to the door in the room where she had been found, and that her body had then been moved further into the room.

The body was then taken from the scene to allow Prof Cassidy to conduct a post-mortem. Prof Cassidy said Ana suffered a fractured right eye socket, upper jaw and cheekbone.

There was a large area of injury on the right side of her face and bruising on the left side of her face, the court heard.

Prof Cassidy said there were four separate impacts to Ana's head.

She said they could have been caused by a heavy object with a small striking surface, or the corners of a larger object.

However, she could not say what had caused these separate impacts.

She said there was extensive haemorrhaging to the soft tissue on the neck and that Ana would have asphyxiated due to compression of the neck structure.

The jury heard there were numerous scratches to Ana's trunk and limbs.

Some of these may have been caused in a struggle, Prof Cassidy said, and some could have been caused by moving her body across the floor of the room.

In cross-examination, Prof Cassidy agreed with Patrick Gageby, for Boy A, that there was no pathological evidence of ligature strangulation.

Prof Cassidy also agreed with Damien Colgan, for Boy B, that Ana had suffered a "very horrific death".

The trial continues.