Court injunction sought to evict 30 city squatters
The receivers of a Celtic Tiger-era development site will today apply for a High Court injunction to prevent alleged trespassing on a number of properties on Dublin's northside.
Around 30 people are living in the properties at Lower Grangegorman and have refused to leave.
Lawyers for a receiver appointed over three houses at the complex have secured permission to serve at short notice papers saying they will seek the injunction against a number of people alleged to be squatting on the premises.
A separate injunction application is also expected to be made in relation to a fourth property at the site.
The applications follow incidents on Monday at the complex when workers arrived to erect fences on the property but were met with resistance from a number of people who have been allegedly squatting there for some time.
One of the alleged squatters, who gave his name as Shane, previously told The Herald that the occupants of the complex would be resisting any legal actions from the receivers.
"We are certainly not going without a fight," he told the Herald.
Last night he said that his group will attend today's High Court proceedings.
"We're going to show up to the hearing and make our case," he said.
The site, at Lower Grangegorman, was once set to be developed into a large apartments and office complex.
Builder Pascal Conroy's firm Albion Properties Ltd had sought planning permission to build 220 apartments in 2006.
The firm was later granted permission for a scaled-down plan for 164 apartments and an office block at the site in what was reported to be a €100m development.
The plans stalled after the economic crisis hit and a receiver was appointed to the site.
The group who have been living at the location have created a "community garden" and various art installations - including a large robot.
The receiver had a letter delivered to the occupants on Monday warning that he is "entitled to possession" of properties at the complex.