Monday 19 August 2019

Court hears man was beaten and left dying in skip

An "easy-going and friendly" Irishman was kicked, punched, stripped and left for dead in a skip after a drunken late night spat, a court has heard.

Mick Hunt (37) was attacked in the early hours of March 15 by Fiona Nalty and Arry Green following a night out in south London, the Old Bailey heard.

According to eyewitnesses, Nalty (24) started beating up Mr Hunt after he tried to chat her up and Green (22) joined in because she was a girl, even though the victim remained passive throughout the vicious onslaught.


Later that morning a member of the public found Mr Hunt in an alleyway, severely injured, naked, unconscious and barely breathing. He died in hospital the same day.

Prosecutor David Jeremy QC said earlier that night, Mr Hunt had been drinking at the Port Manor pub where he was seen to be to be dancing and enjoying himself.

But the evening toured sour when he met the defendants at a nearby off-licence were one witness thought the victim had tried to "chat up" Nalty, a possible trigger for the violence, Mr Jeremy said.

Later, the victim tried to calm the defendants down when they became aggressive at a minicab office after a driver refused to take Nalty home because she was drunk.

Nalty began punching and pushing Mr Hunt around outside and Green weighed in with a punch because he did not like the idea of the victim fighting a girl, even though he was not retaliating, the court heard.

Green then suggested to Nalty that they should go into a nearby alleyway to "sort this out", the court heard.

The attack was witnessed by a 15-year-old boy who saw Nalty and Green kicking Mr Hunt as he lay on the floor trying to protect himself and begging "stop, please stop".

The boy heard Nalty laughing as he turned away because he could not bear to watch, Mr Jeremy told jurors.

And when the defendants emerged from the alleyway, the witness heard Nalty say "we f****d him up bad" before they told him not to tell anyone about what happened, jurors were told.


The victim was found at 7am that day, the prosecutor said: "Mr Hunt was lying in the skip on top of builders' rubbish. He was completely naked save for a bandana around his neck.

These defendants must have removed his clothing as an act of humiliation.

"Mr Hunt was still breathing in a laboured fashion but was unresponsive and cold to the touch. Police noticed the large number of abrasions and cuts to his body. His face was very swollen and his eyes were closed."

Police wrapped him in a blanket to keep him warm before the ambulance arrived, but Mr Hunt died later that morning at Kings College Hospital.

A post-mortem examination showed he suffered injuries consistent with kicking and stamping. He suffered a skull fracture as well as a broken nose, cheekbone and rib.

Green, of South Norwood, and Nalty, of Coulsdon, Surrey, who both knew the victim, deny murder.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News