Tuesday 16 January 2018

Couple in horrific hammer and knife attack outside their home

The couple's smashed front door
The couple's smashed front door

A COUPLE were hospitalised after being attacked by two thugs in the latest horrific assault on the capital's northside.

A woman was slashed in the face and her partner was also cut on the nose and viciously beaten with a hammer during the attack.

The incident unfolded at around 10.30pm on Sunday when the couple, who are aged in their early 40s, were returning to their home on the Swords Road in Whitehall, Dublin 9.

Two thugs were waiting for the couple behind a skip and jumped out before grabbing them and assaulting them.

Sources say that the criminals demanded access to the couple's home.

Despite being threatened, the brave couple refused to give in to the thugs demands.

However, when they were denied access to the home, the attackers then produced a knife and hammer.

The woman's right cheek was cut when one of the thugs slashed her with the knife.

Her partner was cut across his nose in the attack.

The 43-year-old male victim was also beaten on the head with a hammer during the ordeal.

"This was an absolutely horrific ordeal for that couple but thankfully their injuries are not life-threatening," a source said last night.

While their attackers did not gain entry to the house, they did damage a front patio door of the property, before fleeing the scene.


Emergency services were notified and the couple were brought to the Mater Hospital where they were treated for their horrific injuries.

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, described how they heard screams coming from the road at around 10.30pm.

"I heard a few loud screams, but I didn't know if they were playful screams or if it was something serious.

"I eventually decided to look out the window and saw two lads in hoodies running off," they told the Herald.

"They didn't seem like they were in a hurry to get away though, it was as if they had just knocked on the door and were jogging off.

"The next thing I knew there were five garda cars, a fire engine and two ambulances outside on the street and the gardai were knocking on my door to take a statement.

"They stayed in the house [of the victims] all night, they sealed it off with tape and were looking around the surrounding gardens and paths for any evidence.

"Their front door was badly smashed in as well," they added.

The neighbour said that although they do not know the victims that well, they would say hello in passing.

"They are really friendly," the neighbour added.

Gardai from Santry said that they are investigating the incident but so far no definite line of enquiry has been established and no arrests have yet been made.

The couple's home was sealed off on Sunday night as officers carried out a technical examination of the scene.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News