herald

Saturday 16 December 2017

Council had back up in case of bin strike crisis

Household waste could have been collected in the city throughout the Greyhound Recycling summer strike, Environment Minister Alan Kelly has said.

Mr Kelly had enquired with Dublin City Council (DCC) about a back-up plan in the event of waste not being collected in the capital.

And he said that he was told that there were a number of options available.

"The City Council confirmed that it was satisfied that there are a sufficient number of other permitted operators in a position to provide a household waste collection service to households in the City Council area at a competitive price," said the Labour minister.

After a dispute broke out between Greyhound Recycling and their workers, which lasted 14 weeks, some rubbish was left uncollected in parts of the city.

Last week workers there voted to accept a settlement package which also meant the picket on the company's headquarters was lifted immediately.

Dublin Central TD and former minister Joe Costello asked Mr Kelly about "contingency" plans when waste could not be collected.

The environment minister then stated that his department had written to the council earlier this month on the matter.

He said he requested a "written report" on "scenario planning that has been undertaken by" the council to arrange alternative waste collection in the event of a company being unable to carry out the work.

deal

The outcome of the dispute at Greyhound resulted in 52 of the 78 strikers deciding to accept the deal - with 15 voting against, 10 not voting and one spoiled vote.

Greyhound withdrew pending court actions against the strikers and some third parties.

Waste collection is the responsibility of each local authority and therefore either the council must collect rubbish or else arrange for a third party to do so.

jfegan@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News