Tuesday 15 October 2019

Climber who died on Everest will help kids 'follow their dreams'

Kevin Hynes died on descent
Kevin Hynes died on descent

The family of a man who died climbing Mount Everest for the second time say they will be forever grateful for all the support they have received.

Father-of-two Kevin Hynes (56), originally from Newbridge, Co Galway, died on May 24 as he descended the mountain.

His daughter, Erin Hynes, has since set up a GoFundMe campaign to help young people "follow their dreams".

"We cannot express enough how your thoughts and actions have provided us with comfort during this time which we will be forever grateful for," she posted.

"In total, you have already helped raise €31,486 in memory of my dad."

The goal was originally €1,100.

"The Children's Trust Charity will soon be making its first grants from my dad's in-memoriam fund to Solidarity Sports and the US Charitable Trust to fund their summer programmes for disadvantaged children," Ms Hynes added.

"We will donate the remaining balance to grant and support these two projects for their Christmas initiatives later this year.

"Solidarity Sports works with more than 100 at-risk children with unstable home environments, helping increase their confidence and ensuring they feel loved and protected.

"They provide a safe and friendly place where children enjoy sports, outdoor adventures, arts and food activities in a nurturing environment.

"The US Charitable Trust supports young people from lower-income homes who do not have positive experiences outside of London, or even in their immediate neighbourhoods."

Ms Hynes previously posted: "Following my father's adventure to Everest and subsequent passing, mum, James and I would like to keep his legacy and passions alive through supporting local charities which help young people to develop their skills and encourage them to follow their dreams.

"My dad was always known as generous in the love and time given to others to support them in their ambitions and individual aspirations and we hope by setting up this page we can continue his legacy."

The experienced climber, who lived in the UK for many years, was part of a group from the UK-based climbing company 360 Expeditions, which was attempting to scale Everest from the North Col (Tibetan side) which is 8,848m.


Mr Hynes died in his tent at the North Col at 7,000m early in the morning.

It is understood that altitude sickness, caused by low levels of oxygen combined with extreme heights, is linked to his death.

Mr Hynes had reached Camp III at 8,300m, but while other climbers were heading higher, he started his descent.

He was accompanied by experienced guide, Dawa Sangee, who has climbed Everest South twice and Everest North and Makalu twice.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News