a 35-year-old chef, who burned his hand with hot oil, has settled a €38,000 damages claim against a restaurant for an undisclosed sum in the Circuit Civil Court.
Simon Mwangi claimed that in January 2012, he was working in the kitchen area at Bijou Restaurant, Highfield Road, Rathgar, Dublin, when he took a pan from the "clean pan" area. He claimed the pan, which he believed to be clean, actually contained hot oil which poured over his fingers. His employers denied his claim of negligence. Following talks between the parties, Mr Swangi's claim was struck out on consent with costs to Mr Swangi and with liability being agreed on a 50/50 basis.
Children killed in Syria attacks
At least 11 children have been killed after mortars crashed into their school in a rebel-held town in Syria, according to local activists.
The children of the Haya School in the town of Qaboun east of Damascus were struck by three mortars, said a local activist.
It was not immediately clear who fired the rockets. Both pro-government forces loyal to President Bashar Assad and rebels opposed to his rule use the weapons.
Nuclear test site returned
A stretch of Australian Outback territory used by Britain for nuclear testing has been formally handed over to the local Aborigines, who insist it is safe for tourists despite lingering contamination.
The remote Maralinga site in southern Australia was used from 1955 to 1963 and involved a series of seven detonations of nuclear devices as well as hundreds of minor tests. Britain agreed to clean the site in the 1990s, a process finished in 2000. The land's traditional Aboriginal owners were forced off the territory for the testing but dozens died from cancer after being exposed to radiation.