Monday 18 December 2017

Carbon monoxide suspected in death of elderly couple

Sydney Graham, inset, their home in Churchtown
Sydney Graham, inset, their home in Churchtown
General view of Gardai at scene. Landscape Park, off Braemor Road, Dublin
Gardai at scene. Landscape Park, off Braemor Road, Dublin

AN ELDERLY couple found dead in their Dublin home in what is a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident were described by neighbours as being dedicated to each other.


Sydney and Lorna Graham – both in their 80s – were discovered sitting in chairs in their home on Landscape Park in Churchtown with a newspaper from Saturday open on the table.

The alarm was raised around 5pm when a female relative tried to gain access to the home.

When no one came to the door, she went to a neighbour who held a key for the house.

The neighbour, who did not wish to give her name, said the relative became worried for the couple’s safety when she saw milk in the back of the car.


“My husband then went into the house with her. He knew they had passed away as soon as he went in,” she told the Herald.

“I saw them getting out of their car on Saturday. They had some things with them but everything was normal,” she said.

“It’s very upsetting.”

Mr and Mrs Graham had lived in the house since they were married and had two sons and a daughter, who live abroad in Australia and England.

“They were a lovely couple and the perfect neighbours. It’s so sad to think they could just pass away together like that,” a resident said.

Another neighbour, Maureen O’Connell, said Mr Graham “doted over his wife”.

“Everything he did was for her. He was clearly totally dedicated to her and would have done anything for her.”

Locals said Sydney loved cycling and would always be seen cycling to the shops.

“He was in his late 80s but was very active and looked much younger than his age,” said one neighbour.

Detectives and the emergency services attended the scene last night but gardai said the deaths were not being treated as suspicious and the possibility that they died form carbon monoxide poisoning is being investigated.


The bodies of Sydney and Lorna were removed late last night to Tallaght Hospital where  post-mortem examinations were due to be carried out to establish the cause and probable time of the deaths.

Gardai remained at the scene today until all investigations were complete.

A spokeswoman for Gas Networks Ireland confirmed there    was a natural gas supply to the house, but an examination by an engineer last night showed no evidence of a gas leak.

General view of Gardai at scene. Landscape Park, off Braemor Road, Dublin

“The matter is with the gardai now as they continue to investigate,” said the spokeswoman.

Locals on the quiet and mature road were today coming to terms with the sad deaths of Sydney and Lorna, who they had known for years as neighbours and friends.

The couple’s three children were making arrangements to come home as the investigations into their parents’ deaths continued.


Gardai at scene. Landscape Park, off Braemor Road, Dublin

Promoted articles

Entertainment News