Tuesday 21 November 2017

Car ploughed into woman at road crossing

GARDAI are hunting a hit-and-run driver who ploughed into a woman at a pedestrian crossing.

A major investigation was underway today after the woman suffered serious injuries.

Officers say the 26-year-old woman was on the Headford Road in Galway city at about 8.45pm on Sunday evening when she was struck.

The driver sped straight through a pedestrian crossing, hitting a young woman and leaving her battling serious injuries in hospital.

She had pressed the pedestrian crossing button and waited until it was safe to proceed, but the oncoming car failed to come to a halt when faced with a red light and drove straight through the crossing, striking the woman.

The car failed to remain at the scene and the young woman was left in considerable distress until a passing motorist stopped and went to her aid.

She was rushed by ambulance to Galway University Hospital where she was treated for serious injuries. The woman sustained severe lower body injuries and was later transferred to Merlin Park Hospital in Galway.


Gardai at Mill Street Station in Galway today stressed that help from the public was essential to their investigation.

"It is a busy road and used by people walking in and out of the city centre at all hours. The pedestrian lights are just outside the Dunnes Stores complex in Terryland.

"We are anxious to hear from anyone who may have been in the area at the time of the incident. The woman was very lucky not to have a very serious head injury," a spokesman said.

Gardai at Mill Street Station can be contacted at 091-538000 or on the confidential line 1800 666 111.

Meanwhile, a man in his late teens was in a serious condition in hospital following a single car crash on the Monivea Road in Galway city also on Sunday.

Four young men were travelling in the car when it left the road and struck a wall near Carnmore Cross. The other three were discharged from hospital following initial medical treatment at Galway University Hospital.

But the fourth man was transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin for specialist medical treatment.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News