Bus drivers vote against strike action
Dublin bus drivers who are members of SIPTU have voted overwhelmingly against strike action.
The development will come as a relief to commuters, as the long-running row over cost-cutting plans at the company led to a three-day strike in August.
SIPTU drivers voted by 72pc to 28pc against taking strike action in opposition to the implementation of the savings plan.
Counting of the ballots was completed yesterday evening.
SIPTU organiser John Murphy said: "The acceptance of the cost-reduction proposals by a majority of their colleagues in previous ballots indicated to bus drivers that any strike action would not have the level of unity and support which would be required to successfully fend off the proposed cuts.
"SIPTU members employed by Dublin Bus have fought against the continuing cuts to their employment conditions and will continue this battle in the face of government proposals to further undermine them.
"Increases in fares, the continued lowering of the state subvention and proposals to privatise routes are leading to the lowering of workers' conditions of employment and damaging the transport service.
"SIPTU drivers recognise that a united workforce, with public support, is required to successfully combat these moves."
Transport Minister Leo Varadkar and junior minister Alan Kelly said in a statement that this outcome "is in the best interests of the company, all of its employees and everyone who depends on its services".
Dublin Bus welcomed the outcome of the ballot, and said it would implement the measures from November 17.
The cost reduction package has been accepted by all other employees.
The company is seeking savings of around €11m.
Last week, the drivers narrowly rejected the cost-reduction measures. However, SIPTU held another ballot to see if members were prepared to take industrial action.