| -2.1°C Dublin

Bono suffers six fracture, five hours surgery after 'bike spill'

U2 rocker underwent five hours of surgery on his broken arm after an accident in Central Park.

The singer suffered six fractures - including his eye socket - in the bike crash.

He now has three metal plates and 18 screws in his arm after his left humerus bone shattered "in six different places and ripped through his skin".

It's reported today that Bono crashed when he attempted to avoid another cyclist and was involved in a "high energy bicycle accident".

According to Rolling Stone, Bono was rushed to New York Presbyterian/Well Cornell Medical Centre where he underwent five hours of surgery.

Orthopedic trauma surgeon Dean Lorich, MD, said: "[Bono] was taken to the operating room where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws."

On Monday, Bono underwent a second surgery to repair a fractured left little finger.

Three days after the incident, U2 revealed that lead singer Bono injured his arm in a "cycling spill" requiring surgery.

But the full extent of his injuries were not known until the details and prognosis were disclosed to Rolling Stone.

Dr Lorich told Rolling Stone that Bono will "require intensive and progressive therapy", but "a full recovery is expected".


Bono's accident meant that the band had to postpone their week-long residency on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. The band posted a message on their website starting "we're sure he'll make a full recovery soon, so we'll be back!".

It is not known whether or not Bono's recovery will delay the band's upcoming tour.

When guitarist The Edge spoke to Rolling Stone in September, he outlined the group's plan for heading back on the road.

"The tour is still in the planning stage so it's too early to describe what it will be like," said the guitarist. "We certainly can't get any bigger than the last tour."

The cycling accident came just days after Bono had a close call on board a private jet when the rear door came off.

When Bono and his crew reached the German coast, flying at about 8,000ft, the tailgate of the plane became detached.

Bono later confirmed nobody was injured but added: "You know there may be a few cows or sheep in the German countryside with a very sore head. We trust that nobody was hurt because we would have heard by now."