| 7.4°C Dublin

Beverly Hills cops raid Sheen home in hunt for weapons

Charlie Sheen struck back at the makers of the hit TV sitcom Two And A Half Men, suing them for $100m (e72m) and claiming they fired him from the show after he criticised producers -- as US cops searched his home for guns.

Los Angeles police searched the star's home looking for firearms in what they characterised as a check linked to a stay away order issued against the troubled actor last week.

LA Police department spokeswoman Officer Norma Eisenman said no arrests had been made, but the search was still ongoing early today.

Police arrived at Sheen's home to "investigate a possible violation of a temporary restraining order", Officer Eisenman said.

"Part of the conditions of the temporary restraining order are that you can't have weapons or ammunition, so we're just making sure there are no weapons in the home," she said.



wayward

Sheen's ex-wife Brooke Mueller obtained a stay away order against the actor last week after production on Two And A Half Men was suspended by CBS.

But lawyers for the wayward star and his estranged wife say the former couple have now reached an agreement that settles any custody issues.

The statement said the details of the arrangement were being kept confidential for the benefit of their twin sons.

Meanwhile, Sheen, who has been in and out of drug and alcohol rehab in the past year, has sued producer Chuck Lorre and a division of the giant Warner Bros film and television studio on behalf of himself, the cast and crew of the No 1-rated US TV comedy.

The lawsuit came as the troubled star also appeared in a comic video, mocking himself as he donned a tiger chef's hat to present a spoof cookery programme -- Charlie Sheen's Winning Recipes.

The video, posted on funnyordie.com, showed the actor playing with knives and concocting a bizarre meal.

The lawsuit states: "Defendant Chuck Lorre, one of the richest men in television who is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, believes himself so wealthy and powerful that he can unilaterally decide to take money away from the dedicated cast and crew." The show employs about 200 people.

The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, claims Mr Lorre and Warner Bros "were able to generate more than a billion dollars" from the show that was in its ninth year.

The suit also states that Warner Bros was "quite happy" to employ Sheen and to sign him to a new contract last year even as he faced a criminal charge of assault against his ex-wife and was in rehab for substance abuse. Sheen eventually pleaded guilty to assault and served probation.

It was only after Sheen began criticising Lorre and Warner Bros in public over the past several weeks that Warner Bros decided to fire the actor for what it claimed was breach of contract, the suit adds.

Los Angeles attorney Howard Weitzman, who represents Mr Lorre, called the suit's claims "as recklessly false and unwarranted as Mr Sheen's rantings to the media".

A Warner Bros spokesman declined to comment on the suit. But in a letter to Sheen's attorney on Monday, Warner Bros said: "Your client has been engaged in dangerously self-destructive conduct and appears to be very ill."





offensive

Warner Bros added that in recent months, Sheen had been forgetting his lines, turning up late, missing rehearsals and making "comments poisoning key working relationships".

In recent weeks, Sheen has been on the offensive, giving interviews to the media in which he has called his former employers and any of his detractors "trolls". Yesterday Sheen tweeted: "Torpedo away... You corporate Trolls were warned. And now you've been served!"

hnews@herald.ie