| 5.5°C Dublin

B&B owner tells of walking in on girl's 'cannibal' killing

The owner of a B&B has described the moment she walked into a blood-covered room and came face to face with a suspected killer and his young victim.

Mandy Miles went to investigate when she heard a woman shouting for help from the room of guest Matthew Williams.

There she saw the convicted criminal and the lifeless body of 22-year-old Cerys Yemm, who it has been claimed, he murdered in an act of cannibalism.

Mrs Miles, who owns the The Sirhowy Arms in Argoed, south Wales, said: "I walked into the room and saw lots of blood and a girl lying completely still. I knew at that point she was dead.

"I said to Matthew, 'what are you doing to that girl, but he replied 'that's no girl'.

"I rang 999 and made damn sure he couldn't get out of that room. I was in total fear of what he was capable of."

Last Thursday's double death is being investigated by Gwent Police and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

The Welsh force is handling what it has said was the murder of Ms Yemm, while watchdog the IPCC is handling enquiries into the death of Williams.

Williams died after being hit with around 50,000 volts from a Taser as police tried to arrest him over his alleged fatal attack on Ms Yemm.

Since then, his mother told the BBC her son suffered from schizophrenia and had not been prescribed medication following his release from prison.

Mrs Miles said Williams did not look like "he knew what he was doing" when she walked into his room in the early hours of last Thursday.

"I seriously had to make sure that girl was not still alive when I went in," she said. "Otherwise there would have been a battle. If she had been alive, I couldn't and wouldn't have closed the door. I would've had to attack Matthew with the fire extinguisher. Now I can never use that room again."

Of claims the 34-year-old was eating his victim, she said: "I saw nothing like that at all."

Mrs Miles also said Williams had been staying at the 15-bed Sirhowy Arms since being released from prison three weeks ago. She said Williams had told her he had been in prison for theft, rather than assaulting an ex-partner.

"He had been really great. I had no problems with him previously," she said. "I didn't have any fear of Matthew. I didn't know anything about him, who he was or why he was in prison.

"It is quite worrying I wasn't told what he had been in prison for," she said. "I should know who is walking through my door.

"The way people come to stay here is that the council ask, can we book a room.

"I go 'yes, what's his name, his date of birth, any issues?' That's it really.

"What we're doing here is really positive. We try and help people who are homeless - which can be for many, many reasons such as a fire or eviction."