Barman died of alcohol poison
FRIENDS of a barman who died following an after-hours drinking session have described the young man's death as "needless".
Eoin Mulholland (23) died of acute alcohol intoxication after the session at Ballyfermot United Sports and Social Club, where he worked.
He had earlier been drinking Chartreuse, a French liqueur with an alcohol content of 55pc.
Dublin Coroner's Court heard yesterday that Mr Mulholland had stayed on at the club after closing time on November 23, 2010, with some friends, and they had drinks and played poker and pool.
One friend, Ian Hurley, raised the alarm some time before 6am when he found he was unable to wake Mr Mulholland, who was asleep on a couch.
Mr Mulholland, of Elm Close, Elm Wood, Lucan, was rushed by ambulance from the club on Blackditch Road to St James's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A post-mortem exam found he had consumed a fatal level of alcohol with 499 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood in his system at the time of his death.
Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said any level over 350 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood is potentially fatal for a man.
He told Mr Mulholland's family that he thought that the liqueur which Mr Mulhulland had drunk was "the issue".
"It is a very high proof and on top of the other alcohol, you can see how the level of 499 could have been reached," said the coroner, who recorded a verdict of death by misadventure. Yesterday friends at the social club said Eoin was "adored by everybody".